finding the right size rear shock when you lower car??

Moderator: Moderators

finding the right size rear shock when you lower car??

Postby megavega » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:39 pm

I seem to be having a hard time finding a shock for the rear of my car, it has been lowered by 2 1/2 inchs, the rear coil springs have been shortened by 1 1/2 coils. The stock rear vega shock is 12.125" compressed, 19.125" extended and has a 7.00" stroke, I need the same type of mounting shock only with the extension reduced to 17 ", otherwise the coil springs fall out of the holders on extension. I could just as easily make some spring retainers but would rather have a shock that would be around 2 inchs shorter so the shock would work in its design stroke. the shocks are for a 72 vega, t bar top with eyelet bottom mount.

I went to the parts store and they claim they dont have a book to show the dimensions on the shocks?? I used to work in auto parts stores when younger and we had books for everything. Now a days if its not in the computer the kids/guys now have no clue how to find information................

The car is at ride height here in the pic, no way am I going to raise the car up for a shock.....LOL!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by megavega on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:17 am

Don,

As long as you have the factory bumpstops still installed, I wouldn't be overly concerned about different shocks. You'll still be in the range of motion for the stock dimension shock.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Yenkoboy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:05 am

Here is what I do, Go to Google type in "lowering shocks". I did it and you will find many shock companys. Then go to there web site and look up specs on the shocks. By the way your car is looking good.

I hope this helps

Mark
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:49 am

Chuck, the bumpstops in the rear will work fine for compression, but he is worried about the springs becoming loose in there pockets at full extension as a result of what I assume are shorter springs.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby megavega » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, well I found a set. I took the advice and started thru google and found the monroe shock page, it has all the mounting,lengths and features on thier website. Got the part number I needed per dimensions and mounting. I will have to reuse my t bar from my shocks and press it in these but everything else is a go. I also crossed them to gabriel part number and then began to call around to the auto parts stores, autozone, napa,nationwide, etc. of course not 1 of the local stores has the shocks I need in stock.

So I go on evil bay, and wham....theres a set new in the box for less then half of what the parts stores wanted to order them for me.......It never ceases to amaze me how if you shop around you save yourseld a lot of money over the course of building a car.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech