Another Vega steering box ?, can't get coupler to slide on

Moderator: Moderators

Another Vega steering box ?, can't get coupler to slide on

Postby JohnP » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:30 pm

Old box is out new one hanging by 1 bolt, pitman arm attached to box and center link, but not tightend.

I can't get the steering wheel shaft coupler to slide onto the shaft coming out of the new box.

The box shaft has a flat edge on it. Does that align with the inside of the coupler that has no grooves in it?

Any advice technique to get it on? Never did one in Vega before.
THANKS
JohnP

steering shaft to steering box coupling problems

Postby bardsnes » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 pm

You should check that possibly your coupling (female side) on the steering shaft is the same size as the one on your box. I found out when doing my car that there are several different sizes for different years or cars that were used. By luck I had parts from several cars and had the correct one to fit my steering box. You can if your carful change only the coupling on the steering shaft by taking off a clip by the rubber covering the coupling and pull the end off and replace it with one from a shaft that has the same coupling size as the steering box. Careful not to tear the rubber boot. After the clip is removed--Pull and the boot will come off. Inside you will find a kind of universal joint that you need to keep in tact and slide the new coupling piece over. You can then attach to the new steering box. Hope this helps.
bardsnes

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Thanks

Postby JohnP » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:57 pm

sure, it helps. You are right, I did find the steering box shaft is slightly larger then the old one. This is new repro box thats spec'd to be for 71 Vega with manual steering. Anyway is it ever so slightly larger, I measured it with outside diameter ruler and is like the thinkness of a line on the ruler bigger. I was able to spread the female coupler a bit and can get it half way on. I don't have any other parts to interchange with. Also it does not have the notch in the shaft, so I filed one. I used some emery cloth to remove a bit of material on the shaft, and it slide on a bit more, but does not bottom out in the female coupler. It only goes to the start of the second set of grooves, not sure if I can take any more off without removing all the grooves, splines on the shaft.
thanks for info
JohnP

Postby heinz057 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:18 am

count the splines from the old box and the new box and see if there is a difference
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby JohnP » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Spline count was the same. I even tried to put the old one back on and it would not go on. What a pain this is, 2 days trying to get this box on!

Anyway I removed the spring clip from the coupler, but it would not come off, I did not want to rip the boot. So, I just was trying to turn the shaft like one spline e ach way to see if I just didnt have it lined up right. I did notice a high spot inside prob from new box not lined up at first and it gouged in the metal. Carfully tried to grind it smooth without damaging and other splines. Then while trying to put box in and moving the coupler...it just came off in my hand. With it off, was able to finally get it on the box shaft. but it took a few taps with hammer to get it to go in so all the splines were in the coupler.

Now I just hope I can get the box in with the coupler attached. I think it should go, and the coupler should just slide back onto the end of the steering shaft. Will get to that tomorrow..
JohnP

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech