Lower control arm bolts

Moderator: Moderators

Lower control arm bolts

Postby Monzadude » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:25 am

I went to NAPA today and they can get new lower control arm bolts for me. The only thing is their listing is for one kit per wheel. One kit is only 1 bolt with the off set washers,lock washer and the nut. It's listed as being for camber adjustment. This is the only listing they have. They don't have one for the back bolts. When they look it up, it just says OEM part.
Maybe I'm crazy but aren't the front and back bolt kits exactly the same? Couldn't I just get 4 of the camber kits and have what I need? It's $20 per kit. Needing 4, $80 is a little high for me right now. I brought the good one I still have to work and showed the machinist. He said he can make me some, no problem. I just have to get bolts the same grade. Using the offset washers from my old one and he'll machine the bolts and put it all together. He's very good at what he does and believes in making things perfect or not at all. Still, is this ok to do or should I just bite the bullet and spend the money?
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:55 am

Email me, I might be able to help you out. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monzadude » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:52 pm

I finally got around to putting the lower control arms back on. New bushings, new ball joints and new cam bolts with lots of anti-sieze. This was not a fun job but thank god it's done. Thanks to eveyone that helped me out. Without some of the ideas and suggestions I got from you guys I know it never would have gotten done.

Thanks

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby Todd TCE » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Hmm. You'll have to share some of that with me in the future too!

I've got the left rear lower stuck in there now and given there's some damages to the sheet steeel as well I smell a minor hit. Getting it appears to be screaming Saws All to me about now.

As Clyde suggested it's likely stuck on the inner sleeve. With what I call "PermaSeeze"!

On the ball joints I can figure out how to get them out if I choose to do so. How hard are they to get and sourced pretty readily? If not bad I'll lose them and pc the arm.
Todd
TCE
Todd TCE

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Todd, I can get you ball joints. You know how to reach me.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monzadude » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 am

Todd
I tried everything with mine but the bolts wouldn't come out of the bushing. I finally had to split the outer sleeve of the bushing, remove the rubber, them split the inner sleeve to release the bolt. An air chisel is very handy for doing this. There are other ways that might work for you before having to go to that extreme. I tried the saws all as well but the bolts are really hard and it will take a long time to cut through, unless you have better blades then me.

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech