Front rotor dust cover

Moderator: Moderators

Front rotor dust cover

Postby Monzadude » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm just wondering about the dust cover that goes behind the front rotors. One of mine isn't too bad but the other one is scrap. Can you still get these? Do they even really have to go back on?

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I found NOS ones for the early solid rotor cars. For the later vented rotors I only found what I believe is a LH side. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monzadude » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:45 pm

This is what the left side looks like.Doesn't look bad in pic but is paper thin and full of rust through pin holes. Do they really have to be there? I don't see what they do other than sheild the rotor. Is that really that important or do they do something I'm not seeing?
Are these still available new? Maybe they were the same on other cars.

Bill

Clyde- I'm having an e-mail glitch. If this is the one you can get send me a PM please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:59 pm

The fact that every car uses them must mean something. GM, as well as other manufacturers, don't just put parts on for no reason. Yes, you can run without them, but why? Maybe they help protect the rotor from debris along with keeping brake dust off all the suspension components. Maybe they help keep water off the brake parts too, not really sure. However, GM calls them a "shield", so they must be shielding something! Judging from the part number I found it is most likely the LH (drivers) side that I located, not sure what you have in the pic or what you need. The problem with many ised ones is that if they are from a junk yard they often drop the car when they remove the wheels and these are the first things to get bent since they drop them right on the shield. These seem to be unique because of the rotor size used on H bodies along with the unique caliper size and type.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby v8astregt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:43 am

Funny, I was just now watching one of my DVD's from the "Street Machine" club, and it had a segment where Baer was installing brakes on a Fox-body Mustang. He said there is no reason to run these except for the dust factor. They're already open to your wheels anyways, so what's it really matter unless your suspension is show-worthy (mine isn't). He said it actually helps, and makes the brakes run cooler to leave them off.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:47 am

I'd have to say they would help to keep rocks from flying up and smacking the rotor but how often does that happen? Dust and dirt is going to get in or out whether the shield is on there or not.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzadude » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 pm

I was able to get another shield off my old car. It's not perfect but it's close. I'm still not sure if they'd really make a difference but they're back on anyway.

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech