Any tips on installing upper front a-arms.

Moderator: Moderators

Any tips on installing upper front a-arms.

Postby JohnP » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:39 pm

I have the AJE tubular upper a-arm, I'm hoping to install soon.

Since I struggled with the rear tubular control arm install, I figured maybe it be wiser to ask for some advice/tips now. (BTW, struggle was me never having done this before, and not the product I was installing)

My cam bolts don't seem rusty. They have a thick coat of paint on them. Hopefully they will come off ok and I can reuse them.

My car has the s-10 spindles, conversion was done by previous owner using the sleeves, so vega balljoints could be used. My new a-arms have the s-10 balljoint. I'm hoping the sleeves will come out easy. I guestioned the previous owner, and he seemed to think they could easly be driven out. Anyone ever do that?

I have a header gasket to replace and I want to tune my rebuilt carb a bit more before I get into the a-arms.
JohnP

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:27 am

John,

To remove the adapter insert, you'll need some heat. I used a Mapp gas torch and a bushing driver of the correct size. Even still, it took some force to get it to budge. I would heartily recommend the bushing driver over a punch or drift so you won't damage the insert.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech