want power brakes

Moderator: Moderators

want power brakes

Postby flracer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:32 pm

What is needed to convert manual brake Vega [77GT] to power.Need to know so i can begin gathering parts.Car is all hbody no s10 parts on it.

Thanks Richard
flracer

Postby peterpan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:36 pm

i took the power brake booster off a 79 ish monza and it bolted right onto my 72 gt but i have not hooked up the lines yet i want to buy new stainless lines
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:51 pm

A long time ago I had a Monza with manual brakes. The master cylinder went bad so I took the master cylinder and booster off my parts car that had power brakes. The only other thing I did to it was hook up a vacuum hose of course. They worked very well. I failed to tell my wife about putting power brakes in the car. I got a nasty call from her when she got to work. :lol: Almost hit her head off the dash.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Astre-mutt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:33 pm

I purchase a new Vega Booster & master cylinder as a unit an eBay for $45. I also purchased a new power brake proportioning valve designed for front discs / rear drums. I think it ran about $20 on eBay. Its a generic GM unit, but it's identical to the H-body designed. The power brakes use the lower hole on the peddle. Which is a larger hole then the top hole. I tried to find right bolt or stud with no luck. So you mite have to fabricate this part.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech