Rear Diff swap '72 GT

Moderator: Moderators

Rear Diff swap '72 GT

Postby norcalace » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm getting ready to swap in my new S10 rear end and wondered if anyone here has some recommendations to help with transferring the brackets over. I would prefer to do it on the bench but may be forced to mock it up on the car.

My plan would be to install the lower control arms on the body, square up and center the diff, assure the pinion angle matches the tranny output shaft and tack the lower diff control arm mounts to the axle tubes.

Next I would plumb bob from the center of the upper coil mounts to the center of the lowers and tack them.

Lastly I would install the upper control arms, set the final pinion angle (if necessary) and tack on the upper mounts to the axle tubes.

Like I said, I'd rather do it on the bench and if anyone has done that or has any helpfull ideas let me know.

Thanks in advance,

John
norcalace

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby heinz057 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:19 pm

you need to talk to v8astregt he did that swap
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby peterpan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 pm

i almost finished doing it to my 74 vega

i used a rear end out of my 72 to build a jig to put the brackets in so they would be held in place then i lined them up and tack welded them on the rear axle

i need to get new bushings in the control arms and see how the axle sits under the car and check the pinion angle after that if all checks out good i will finish welding them

i put used camaro springs in it and they are sagged pretty bad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech