Tubular front lower A-arms from AJE

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tubular front lower A-arms from AJE

Postby monzaxxx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 pm

What timing John P, I just got the arms in and the sway bar mount corrected...it took 2 tries to get them in the exact position before tig welding them throughout. Ive been messing around with different springs and heights at the same time. What appears to dramatically improve the combination is Mustang motorsport springs rated at 420 ft/lbs. So far, I do not have an issue with bumpsteer , the camber is 0, caster ~ 4 deg and toe ~ 1/16". The result far exceeded my expectations, there is no creaking, diving, wandering but a predictable and stable platform. Other than the issue with the sway bar mounts that AJE must fix, I noticed that AJE builds the spring pockets in the lowers with indexing so as to have the open helix portion of the spring face down however in a Monza, the open end faces UP and the stock lower deep pocket arms have no indexing thus AJE should build the monza units with deep indexless pockets and the Vega units with shallow or deep indexed spring buckets. I still feel that AJE will correct the sway bar mount issues you have if you refer them back to this thread. I'll post pictures once I get them sorted out and have more time.
monzaxxx

Postby JohnP2 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am

monzaxxx,
i have no dought Jim at AJE will work with me to correct the swaybar mount. Once spring rolls around and the car is out, I'll call AJE to get some new mounts... the issue will be getting them welded on.

Anyway, I'm more concerned with the one wheel still having a bit of positive camber I /...the cam bolt is pushing the lower arm out as far as it will go...I can see it by eye, even without an alignment. The other wheel, I have the cam bolt pushing the arm out as far as it will go also, and it looks vertical, like it is in a neutral position. Well,can't do anything til spring, car is stored away in my back garage shed for the winter.
JohnP2

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby pobrien327 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 pm

I installed the uppers last year for my s10 conversion... I have 235/60s x 15s on all four corners.. Slight rubbing with full turning (the kind only done in/out of the garage). I really felt that positive caster was critical so it doesn't get goofy if I spring up to 115 or so once in a while....and the AJE's do that for you...

Pat
pobrien327

Postby chevyart » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 am

looks like there will be some used stock lower control arms for sale now ( meaning 75 andup) chevy art
chevyart

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech