rear disc brakes

Moderator: Moderators

Re: rear disc brakes

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:06 am

The problem I seen with this brake package (S10/Blazer) was the depth of the discs themselves as they have the separate internal drum parking brake making the disc hat really deep and therefore not a likely choice for our cars the caliper would have to hang inverted under the car and very hard to bleed as well as somewhat exposed to collision with road debris if it was even possible to get the hat to clear the car/suspension. I believe Reids rear brakes are off of an '81 WS6 T/A while this appears to fit, light weight it is NOT! P.S. the mounting brackets for this appear to be the same as the C/K (full size P/U's, Suburbans, Blazers'73/'91)trucks of the 4X4 variety, I didn't have a chance to verify the centre bolt pattern unfortunatlly, the calipers are unique of course because of the parking brake. I too have been looking for this magic bullit 4 wheel disc setup and ruled these one out for the above reasons I hope this helps. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby barebonesracecars » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 am

My calipers are from a 1982 Cadillac Eldorado with integral parking brakes. Brackets are highly modifed aftermarket S-10 from Scarebird Mecahnical. Nothing off the shelf was available when I did mine.

I have plenty of inside clearance, and I test fitted a 14 x 7 Pontiac Rally II wheel for clearance...fit fine.

Calipers do appear to be rather low, but the bleeder is still on top and they bled fine.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:21 am

The depth I was refering to was the S10/Blazer discs Ried I have yet to put the Caddy and Poncho calipers side by each there is a huge problem with that the Caddy calipers are special order non returnable $100 plus and a core charge and cast heavy Iron but they look similar to my brothers "F"car rears I am sure they are 1 and the same I am just unwilling to spend about $140 to find out for something I think is to heavy for my wants (I want aluminum or lighter everything) but this is looking like my only choice as the later '96 Camaro/T/A is alum. the rotor is huge not allowing the earlier 14" alum inflate-a-spare I feel I should have for road trips. I have looked at some other rotors the only thing I have found close is a late '90's Neon rotor and it is questionable if the bolt pattern will fit I don't think so it will violate the longitudinal ring I believe (with the studs I had that day to check with anyway) the stumbleling piont is the 20mm thickness (0.787") everything else seams easy with those '96+/- calipers with parking brake (F-body) Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cosworth0135 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 pm

harry these s10 disc brakes are on the car in my garage,and not inverted it has been a really long time since i have had a disc off but i don't think what you are referring to was a problem the only problem i ran into was the top disc caliper bolt (a 12 or 13 mm head) hit the brace on the drivers side but the brace could be slotted to make this not a problem. Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:34 am

Timmy are these all cast iron pieces and do you remember what (ballpark)these weighed in at? I didn't measure anything (with an actual scale anyway) but eyeballing these parts they seemed really deep and I haven't found any aluminum replacements as of yet (they always up size the rotor which won't work with my spare tire plan). We are our own worst enemies aren't we, I don't want much just perfectly my way Damn it,SSBC has an alum caliper for the S10 spindle if I was OK with a unit bearing,not really,or 12/13" rotor and 17" wheels again not really, and I believe the same for the rear with only one other little problem, about $2500 for the set up only more than I paid for the car. Just to stop a car that doesn't run yet. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Vegabee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Well I went over to Millers Auto Salvage,Pine River,Wis. in which Bob Miller has been doing things with Vegas/Monzas since they were new.He also has third and fourth gen camaros and S 10s there and has the opportunity to mix and match parts.One of his projects is this Vega wagon that has rear disk with factory parts so i went and pulled his wheel off.I think he said he welded the brackets from Vega on this larger Monza housing because he really doesn't like the way a monza torque arm pan hard handles,corners differently between left and right turns.He drives Vegas/Monzas as daily drivers.First the wheels he fits in are Front camaro,maybe IROQ,not sure
245/50/16 I think.Axles from up to 86 S-10.After that the spline count changes from 28 to 30 and would use a newer style carrier I think he said.That would open up even more possibilities.
He said he used an 3'rd Gen Camaro brake caliper bracket and a caliper from a 3'rd or 4'th Gen Camaro, steel or aluminum.
He said a rotor from 4WD S-10 Front 82-92 and turned the axle flange down to fit the rotor hat
Please give Bob a call to verify my second hand info.Don't you be buyin up my Vega parts tho :wink:
Last edited by Vegabee on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegabee

Postby Rickey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds like I need to try another rotor besides the 2WD Blazer. That rotor is not deep like the 4WD, but still only leaves 2 3/8 from the center of the rotor to the chassis. Have you guys noticed that you can use the parts finder on Autozone.com / details tab on the rotor to see exact demensions. I have been comparing domestic rotors and claipers this way. It even shows the weight of parts.
Rickey

Postby Rickey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Looking at the above pics- I have a question. It looks like the caliper will hit if the car bottoms out. This is what I am trying to work around. I have everthing bolted in place except the coil springs. I jack the axle up until the bump stops hit and the "frame" brace contacts the caliper first. I will post pics asap.
Rickey

Postby Vegabee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 am

Not sure if the calipers hit or not.He uses Z-28 springs,sometimes IROQ but they are straight springs and are ride like a flat bed wagon he tells but are good for the track.If you want to put in a set up like this look him up and talk to him and he will tell you exactly what he uses,and some good Vega tails too.He uses Camaro 5 speeds and this car also has a 4th Gen aluminum Camaro drive shaft.He moved the fire wall and engine back a couple of inches to get air up front easier and it came out for for the length for that drive shaft.He has a lot under the hood on this one because he's taking it across country and likes the new car amenities.
He likes the truck master cylinder and uses a hydraulic clutch set up but forgot from what.He's got cruise,new style air and that radiator is from some car that fits right in also,also can't remember what car
Vegabee

Explorer rear disc brakes

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:12 am

I finally got my rear disc brakes installed from a '95-'01 Explorer. Don't flame me here, it was the best solution I could find for a setup with a parking brake and clearance for the caliper without a lot of modification to the chassis. There are complete new assemblies available through Ford, Currie Enterprises, and Strange Engineering, but I picked up a well-used set off eBay for $50.

Naturally, the backing plate is drilled for a Ford axle housing, so I made a drill jig out of an old c-clip eliminator so I could change the mounting pattern to GM (the hole in the backing plate is 3.150", so the bearing in the eliminator centers the jig):

Drilling backing plate.jpg

On the right is the undrilled backing plate, on the left is the plugged and redrilled one:

Drilled vs undrilled.jpg

My car has an axle assembly from Strange Engineering using a Ford-style pressed-on bearing with a Chevy-pattern housing end, so I needed to accommodate holding the axle in place as well as mounting the backing plate. Here are all of the parts. Since the Explorer assembly is made for a 2-1/2" axle flange spacing and the Chevy is 2-3/4", I needed a 1/4" spacer between the backing plate and the housing. Plus, with the axle I have, I needed to have fabricated a spacer (thanks Vega Craig!!) for the extra thickness of the backing plate so the bolt flange will press on the bearing as well as the backing plate. This wouldn't be necessary with a c-clip axle.

Parts.jpg

First, the spacer is installed against the housing flange (I used flange plates from Strange Engineering, S-10 Warehouse on eBay sells 1/4" spacers, as well):

Assembly 1.jpg

Next, the backing plate (note: I switched the backing plates side-to-side so the caliper will mount low and the e-brake cables are on the underside like the drum brake cable mounting):

Assembly 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cosvega76 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

RE: Explorer rear disc brakes

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 am

Here's what the assembly of the backing plate, axle spacer and bolt flange without the axle shown:

Assembly 2a.jpg

Next is the axle, followed by the redrilled rotor, and caliper:

Assembly 3.jpg

Assembly 4.jpg

Assembly 5.jpg

The suspension is shown at ride height, there is more than 3" of travel available before the caliper would contact the chassis brace. Being a small caliper, there isn't much protrusion behind the axle flange. I'm using a Windstar caliper since the bore size is more compatible with the Corvette front caliper size the car has.

RH clearance.jpg

I now need to finish the other projects on the car and see how well all my research and engineering works!

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cosvega76 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:08 pm

This is awesome! :th: Recommend to be put in the "Best Of" forum.... Thanks! Am using this for sure. :D
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks, Ken! This has been years in the planning and execution!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 am

what application are the bilstein shocks originally from - s10? Are you able to use the fronts too?
monzaaddict

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 am

Those are oooooooold H-body Bilsteins. I've had them for a lot of years.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech