New tubular front control arms!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New tubular front control arms!

Postby overkillrc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:47 am

monzajer wrote:Ah, shoot, there goes the neighborhood! :bang:

Justin, it is understandable that you don't want to carry many different arms, but there is already some racer arms out there. AJE makes them. NOBODY seems to want to tackle the street end of this niche. As many of the inquiries on this post are from street guys I sure would like it if you would consider doing some for us lowly street guys. I am quite confident you could sell a number of them if you did. Clyde was asking about the rubber bushings because of the noise inherent with Heim joints,.....on the street. I'm fairly sure he is inquiring for the street side. Please, reconsider and do something for us. PLEASE! Heck I am ready to buy some right now if they have the sway bar mount AND are for the street.

Any other street guys want some of these great looking arms??? Let's show some support. Heck, no one else wants to make these. Let's show Justin how much we want these made for us.

cheers jer :mrgreen:

Jer,

i'm not ruling it out just trying to figure out how to make it work is all. and if i sounded like i was telling the "lowly street guys" to piss off rest assured that is not the case.. i'm just not sure how i to go about making them more street friendly. right now with how i am building them i need some "swivel" in the joints or bushings and i'm not sure how to do that with a bushing.

i realized after i posted that last reply i may be taken like i was blowing off the street guy's that was not my intent.
overkillrc

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 am

monzajer wrote: Clyde was asking about the rubber bushings because of the noise inherent with Heim joints,.....on the street.

I've been running Heim joints (teflon-lined) for 7 or 8 years now, and haven't been able to figure out what you guys are talking about "noise". Mine are just as quiet as rubber bushings - only a lot firmer.

The only noise I have heard is on the rear bars: they do transfer the ring-and-pinion "whirr" to the passenger compartment. But I wouldn't call it annoying.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzajer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am

Justin, thank you for saying that. I didn't mean to come off the wrong way. We've been down this road SO many times before and have had the rug pulled out from under us SO many times, to hear it again is rather discouraging. Please, don't take it the wrong way. I sincerely hope you can make it work for us.

Chuck, uh...I was only GUESSING that Clyde was inquiring about the "noise" factor in the heim joint. I am probably wrong. Maybe he was asking for another reason. I guess I should have said that differently. Seems like we have had the discussion in the past (noise and heim joints) and I was relying on my memory.......and that is a where the mistake is. :lol:

Justin, thanks again for trying to help us out.

cheers jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Kenova » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:43 am

overkillrc wrote:been trying to think of how to make them with a uerethane bushing but haven't come up with a way yet.

How do Currie Johnny Joints and Spohn Del-Spheres compare size wise?
If they are viable options I'm sure there would be even more interest in your control arms, even with the increase in cost.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Chuck, I agree that teflon lined Heim joints are the way to go. I do have those on one side of my panhard bar ( I made my 75 curved arm adjustable) as well as my front sway bar. I never heard any noise from the rear panhard bar although I can hear some noise from the sway bar. I''s not real noticeable though but I am not sure if teflon lined ones are being used in these adjustable upper arms. I do try to maintain nice ride quality and I have worked very hard eliminating weird noises, sqeaks, rattles etc. from all parts of the car. I guess I am trying to "have my cake and eat it too". There are a lot of different quality Heim joints out there, some have a fair amount of play in the ball & socket while the more expensive ones are built to tighter tolerances.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 72 SS PNL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 pm

what about those larger rebuildable joints ? they work good for the rears , so why not the front arms

first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby overkillrc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Chuck, I agree that teflon lined Heim joints are the way to go. I do have those on one side of my panhard bar ( I made my 75 curved arm adjustable) as well as my front sway bar. I never heard any noise from the rear panhard bar although I can hear some noise from the sway bar. I''s not real noticeable though but I am not sure if teflon lined ones are being used in these adjustable upper arms. I do try to maintain nice ride quality and I have worked very hard eliminating weird noises, sqeaks, rattles etc. from all parts of the car. I guess I am trying to "have my cake and eat it too". There are a lot of different quality Heim joints out there, some have a fair amount of play in the ball & socket while the more expensive ones are built to tighter tolerances.

i'm using a nylon lined chromoly heim joint in mine.
overkillrc

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech