1974 Vega, how to convert power brakes to manual?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1974 Vega, how to convert power brakes to manual?

Postby Bill K » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi Chuck,
Great idea to try clamping off the brake hoses I will try this. My car does not have any s-10 components at all; the brakes are all 1979 Monza to the best of my knowledge.
Bill
measure twice cut once
Bill K

Postby Rickracer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 am

Have you adjusted the rear shoes? They play a HUGE part in pedal feel and travel. You want to adjust them up till they just drag a little. I also like to pull the E-brake handle up 3 clicks and adjust them till you can't quite turn them by hand, then they should release clean when you release the E-brake. If they still feel mushy, you've either got air in there, or a bad master. The best way to check for a bad master is to step on the pedal gradually and see if it will go to the floor, then step on it quickly and with some impact, and see if it's different. If it's high and tight when you hit it quickly, and low and mushy when you hit it slowly, the master is bypassing and faulty. Many people "pump up" a brake pedal, then bleed, that's NOT the best way to do it, if there IS air in the system, pumping it tends to aerate the fluid. The best way is to open the bleeder farthest from the master, "push" the fluid out, close the bleeder and repeat. Sometimes, I have a helper mash the pedal, then crack the lines at the master to begin with, just to avoid pushing any air that's near the master all the way through the system. If I get air there, I will repeat until there isn't any, then start bleeding the rest of the system at the right rear. If you determine/decide you don't have a bad master, I would recommend bleeding the whole system, just to be sure there is no air, getting fresh fluid through the whole system is something that should be done at least every couple years anyway. :wink: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:45 am

Good points, Rick!

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech