Let's talk rear springs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Let's talk rear springs.

Postby megavega » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

waybad wrote:
megavega wrote:I have 3rd gen trans am rear springs in mine, but mine are multi rate ones, I dont know what the rates are but also used the rubber isolators because I cut them way down to get my car where I wanted it ride heigth wise.

which side did you cut them on,, the wide spaced or the tightly spaced coils? also
I have pm-ed you about the frame section that you had for me,, do you still have it?
if not, it's cool just getting started and if you don't have it I will start making repairs.
thanks TC

I cut the top part of the spring as thats where they are coiled real close so it gave me the largest drop.

I still have tyour frame section here, i saved it for you, just need to cut it by the a arm brace and then it could be boxed up, I was thinking of cutting it further back then you can cut it exactly where you want it and then weld it all in.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby paranoid56 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:21 am

old post, but when you put these taller springs on, did you change out to longer shocks?
paranoid56

Postby chevyart » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:17 am

i think the camaro springs raise the rear up 1-1 1/2 inches, so that is taking away that much from your shock travel. it would probably be wise to get shocks with that much more travel. your ride height is raised up and the shock is set at the new ride heigth and works up and down an equal amount. im using stock ones on my car and i am making up upper extensions for the upper mount(they come down the same amount the rear end was raised up with the new springs.basically what you must do is determine how much the new spring raised your car. if it is 1 1/2 " up, close up your existing shocks. measure them at mounting points, top and bottom, and them try and find new shocks 1 1/2" longer. hope i explained that right art
chevyart

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech