Common sense help needed for non fabricator

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Common sense help needed for non fabricator

Postby overkillrc » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 am

rtm wrote:I'm no x-pert that's fo' sho' lol
the springs are stock v-8 monza (new)
I'm gonna try the lakewood 90/10 shocks up front.
I read somewhere about using a panhard bar, rather than a diagonal link, for street/strip use.
I guess adjustable ladder bars are the way to go as well.
I wish I had a three link setup with a torque arm. (like the stock monza setup)
too late now.
there are MANY more knowledgable members here who will help you out if you ask.

have fun
rick the mason

never have understood why some guy's say that a panhard bar is better than a diagonal link on the street. ive seen that posted as well but they never seem to explain themselves.
overkillrc

Postby BBM66 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Justin, To be honest, I'm not certain how a diagonal link works...benefits. The main reason I'm thinking of going with an adjustable panhard bar is for the benefit of being able to center the rear end under the car with relative ease. Maybe there is a better way? Really appreciate your input.....
Bill
The Fleet:
1963 Chevrolet Impala-Miss Jean Marie
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Postby overkillrc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:14 pm

BBM66 wrote:Justin, To be honest, I'm not certain how a diagonal link works...benefits. The main reason I'm thinking of going with an adjustable panhard bar is for the benefit of being able to center the rear end under the car with relative ease. Maybe there is a better way? Really appreciate your input.....
Bill

you do know the rear end will swing back and forth in the car with a panhard? not alot but when you have a tight tire/quarter panel clearance i could cause problems. if you look at the link i posted to the diagonal like the instructions would explain better how it works. it's esentially a turn buckel that goes from one of the front mounting bolts of the L/B to the oppisite corner. adjustment doesn't get any easier than with a diagonal link.
overkillrc

Postby rtm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

meaning no disrespect, just passing info from the net
Which is better a Diagonal Link, Wishbone or Panhard Bar?
It all depends on the type of car being built. A diagonal link and wishbone are both designed for drag race only. There is too much stress put on the rod ends of a diagonal link when cornering to be safe for street use. The wishbone requires too much maintenance for typical street use because of the slip joint. The panhard bar is simple in design and very effective in controlling the side motion of a vehicle. It is still in use in many of the new cars and trucks that come out of Detroit.

Call Art Morrison (866) 321-4499

from art morrison's website
Last edited by rtm on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby rtm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Should I use a Bolt-on or Weld-on Panhard bar on my street car?
It all depends on the application. The panhard needs to be as long as possible to work properly. An example: If you had a panhard bar that was 10" long from center to center of the rod ends and had 2" of travel either up or down there would 1/4" of side movement resulting in lateral movement of the rear-end housing. If that bar was increased to 24" long the 1/4" would be reduced to just over 1/16". The reason to use the weld on vs. the bolt on is to keep the bar as long as possible and reduce the side movement of the housing while trying to maximize room available for fuel tank, exhaust, floor pan, etc. The 9" Ford is the only housing that a bolt on bracket is available, and when using a Dana 60, Chrysler 8 3/4, 12 bolt Chevy, a weld on mount is required.

again from art morrison .com
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Speaking of panhard, I think I need one of these Overkill adjustable ones.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby BBM66 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Interesting information for sure....I'm getting one hell of a good education.....great stuff guys!
The Fleet:
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Postby overkillrc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am

rtm wrote:meaning no disrespect, just passing info from the net
Which is better a Diagonal Link, Wishbone or Panhard Bar?
It all depends on the type of car being built. A diagonal link and wishbone are both designed for drag race only. There is too much stress put on the rod ends of a diagonal link when cornering to be safe for street use. The wishbone requires too much maintenance for typical street use because of the slip joint. The panhard bar is simple in design and very effective in controlling the side motion of a vehicle. It is still in use in many of the new cars and trucks that come out of Detroit.

Call Art Morrison (866) 321-4499

from art morrison's website

thats pretty good info. yea a wishbone would be a pain in the a$$ on pure street car. i don't see why a diagonal links heim joints would see anymore stress then the heim joints on a panhard bar they are pretty similar in design.
overkillrc

Postby overkillrc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am

Fasterthansome wrote:Speaking of panhard, I think I need one of these Overkill adjustable ones.

X2
overkillrc

Postby Infamous Vince » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 am

BBM66,
Just Saw your Vega very nice. I need info on a ladder bar set up for 72 vega 327 4speed s10 rearend. Do you or anybody you know can point me in right direction?
bolt on or weld doesnt matter. I want to stop the rearend from bouncing when i jumpr on it. Please help. Also Will this affect handling in corners? Creating over steer?

Thanks

Infamous Vince
Infamous Vince

Postby BBM66 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Infamous Vince wrote:BBM66,
Just Saw your Vega very nice. I need info on a ladder bar set up for 72 vega 327 4speed s10 rearend. Do you or anybody you know can point me in right direction?
bolt on or weld doesnt matter. I want to stop the rearend from bouncing when i jumpr on it. Please help. Also Will this affect handling in corners? Creating over steer?

Thanks

Infamous Vince

Hi Vince, thanks for the compliment!
As far as the ladder bar setup goes, I really can't help much. I abondoned my ford set up with ladder bars in favor of a bolt in 12 bolt, 4 link. Much easier to set up and work with...well, at least in my opinion. Post a direct question of what you need in "General Discussion" or "suspension" topic and Im confident youll get the info you need. Lots of nice folks with tons of helpful info! Good luck on your build!
Bill
The Fleet:
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech