Is there any other solution to the S10 Negative Camber issue

Moderator: Moderators

Is there any other solution to the S10 Negative Camber issue

Postby Corellian Corvette » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:29 am

I'm still on a "journey of discovery" with my 72 Vega, but I was able to confirm the PO used the S10 rear end for the 5 lug conversion, and I'm pretty sure by looking at the Caliper and Rotor he also used S10 spindles on the front.

I'm not exactly sure how he got the spindles and balljoints to mate (I haven't taken it apart yet), but it appears solid with no balljoint wear.

However, I do have a pretty serious negative camber problem. As I'm going to be putting a V8 in the car (which will lower it in the front), that will only make the problem worse.

Is there any other way to solve this problem besides cutting the ends off the control arms for the S10 balljoints?

Thanks!
Corellian Corvette

Re: Is there any other solution to the S10 Negative Camber i

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 am

A simple way is to use offset upper control arm bushings. Of course I assume that the adjuster cams are maxed out at this point? If you need bushings let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby my79monza » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 am

cjbiagi wrote:A simple way is to use offset upper control arm bushings. Of course I assume that the adjuster cams are maxed out at this point? If you need bushings let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com

Just how do the offset bushings install?, they are pressed in so there is no rotating them once they are pressed in.
Is it by guess and by golly ?
There are no markings on the offset bushings for a reference point so how do you find the amount of offset you want? they aren't marked as to min or max offset so how do you figure offset?
Merle
my79monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 pm

The bushings give you a rough adjustment, don't forget you can still fine tune it with the cams. It would really depend upon how bad your car is. If the cams are maxed out and you are close to where you want it to be you could install them at the half way point in the control arm. If it is way off then max out the bushings in the direction you want to go and do the final alignment with the cams.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:06 am

The offset bushings will only give you about a 3/4-degree change. The only way I'd install them is for max camber correction. As Clyde mentioned, you can use the cams to set the adjustment. But in most cases that I've seen, especially with the S-10 spindles, you'll need to either relocate the upper or lower ball joint or install adjustable tubular control arms to fully correct the alignment issues.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Rickracer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 am

If your camber is that far off, you may want to check to see if the front frame horns have spread, not uncommon.... :? 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I would have thought the offset bushings would have provided a bit more since they have to move the upper arms in by maybe 1/2" or so? Either way, assuming you are shooting for around 1 degree negative camber that means you'd have to have close to 2 degrees negative for these not to work. 2 degrees is visually quite a bit of camber, easily seen just by looking at it so these may still be a alternative as a low buck approach.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby flathead52 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am

Corellian Corvette wrote:I'm still on a "journey of discovery" with my 72 Vega, but I was able to confirm the PO used the S10 rear end for the 5 lug conversion, and I'm pretty sure by looking at the Caliper and Rotor he also used S10 spindles on the front.

I'm not exactly sure how he got the spindles and balljoints to mate (I haven't taken it apart yet), but it appears solid with no balljoint wear.

However, I do have a pretty serious negative camber problem. As I'm going to be putting a V8 in the car (which will lower it in the front), that will only make the problem worse.

Is there any other way to solve this problem besides cutting the ends off the control arms for the S10 balljoints?

Thanks!

We had the same thing going on with our car. Same information from the previous owner. I would check out the lower ball joints. Here is what happen to use, I was driving the car home and turned into the drive at about 3mph and out of nowhere “boom” and the car comes to a stop with the right front of the car dropped to the ground. The fender was sitting on the tire and the header was on the ground. I looked under to see the ball joint had came off the spindle. I could see threads on the ball joint, so I’m thinking the nut came off, I got the car jacked up and found the nut and cotter pin still in the rest of the ball joint.
Here is what I found the previous owner and installed S-10 spindles but used the stock H-Body ball joint with OUT any sleeve. It had not been making any noise and seamed tight.
As far as fixing your problem we were 3 degrees off with no more adjustment left. When I looked into offset bushing I thought they would only get me one and a half degrees. Since this would not fix my problem . I went with after market control arms with the caster built in to fix this.

Tom
flathead52

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby TimMcCabe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:31 pm

I made my K-member adjustable so I could pull the ears at the lower control arms back into place and correct all of the frame spread.
I ended up with the arms about 2" closer tegether and got rid of all of my negative camber issues.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=874

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby T-FATTY » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Overkill a arms...
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech