Steering column removal advice please

Moderator: Moderators

Steering column removal advice please

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi, looking for advice about how to get this out. I think everything is disconnected inside, under the dash to the firewall, and the bolt is out of this joint, but I don't want to get in there with a pry bar to separate this with out asking for help first. How is this supposed to be separated?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: Steering column removal advice please

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:00 am

That is a splined shaft and does need to be pried off. The shaft does have a indentation that the bolt goes through so the bolt has to be taken all the way off but you already have it removed so you should be ok.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:33 am

I believe the end of the column, just above where you removed the bolt, is plastic. I would try a long thin screw driver and pry against the firewall. The part the bolt goes through is part of the shaft under the hood. A little penetrating oil, WD40 or the like, won't hurt!

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 am

Monzacoupe,
What is your end goal? What are trying to accomplish getting it out?
Do you have it out of the spline yet at the lower end near the steering box?
I would think you'd have to do that 1st, because I doubt very much you'd have the throw to get out of the fire enough.
If lower is already out, I'm with Dick, some pen oil 1st.
Then, by placing a wooden block the right size against the firewall, with a long beefy screwdriver or pry bar, you'd be able to get the leverage to pry it away.
If it's still stuck, a few light taps with a rubber mallet towards the firewall might do the trick just to break it loose, not too far though.

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 pm

Resurrecting an old post because I can't remember what I did to my donor car a few years ago. I want to remove my steering shaft to get more room to install headers on the driver's side. Can anyone give me the step by step procedure please? Do I start by dropping the steering wheel and disconnecting it inside the car, remove the bolts at the top and bottom of the shaft, then pry the shaft away from the firewall connection? or does the bottom end of the shaft come loose with a little persuasion then the top shaft can be pried loose without having to do anything inside the car?

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:38 pm

I was able to remove my steering shaft without any disassembly of the column. I removed the bolt at the top by the rag joint and was able to slide the shaft down toward the steering box enough to remove the shaft from the firewall. The bottom of the shaft has a "T" pin that slides in the coupling, so there is enough movement allowed to lower the shaft enough to get it out. It was tight as I recall but it did clear the spline on the firewall.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:02 pm

OK I'll give that a try, thanks Clyde! While I'm thinking of it...is the rubber boot near the steering box still available from the dealer or should I be asking you to track one down?

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Not a dealer item, let me know if you need one.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:19 pm

I need one please.

Rick

P.M. me with details please Clyde
monzacoupe

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech