Will a SBC fit in a 73 Vega Htchback that has powersteering

Moderator: Moderators

Will a SBC fit in a 73 Vega Htchback that has powersteering

Postby robert123 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:12 am

Hi,

1) Will a SBC fit into a stock 73 Vega GT Hatchback -- that has the larger & longer power steering box?

2) Is it okay to put plugs in the power steering box -- where the rubber hoses come out -- and say bye-bye to the pump and hoses?

3) And, I'd like to use cast iron exhaust manifolds on the SBC. I read that Monza exhaust manifolds may work ... and also 72-73 Chevy truck exhaust manifolds. What would be some good stock exhaust manifolds for the Vega? Any manifolds made of aluminum?

Thanks
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: Will a SBC fit in a 73 Vega Htchback that has powersteer

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Robert,

In order: 1): Yes, with the proper exhaust manifolds/headers.

2): Yes, if you drain the fluid out of the gearbox. You should leave a little in there for lubrication, though. A word of caution, though: it will steer hard without the power assist because of the faster ratio.

3): Monza manifolds would be the easiest and best choice. The LH truck manifold may work, too. I went to the Sanderson shorty headers on mine when I switched to power steering. There are no aluminum exhaust manifolds.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby robert123 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 pm

cosvega76 wrote:Robert,

In order: 1): Yes, with the proper exhaust manifolds/headers.

2): Yes, if you drain the fluid out of the gearbox. You should leave a little in there for lubrication, though. A word of caution, though: it will steer hard without the power assist because of the faster ratio.

3): Monza manifolds would be the easiest and best choice. The LH truck manifold may work, too. I went to the Sanderson shorty headers on mine when I switched to power steering. There are no aluminum exhaust manifolds.

Chuck

Cool. Thanks for the advice Chuck -- that helps a lot.

With the power steering think I'll drain and put in new ATF with Stop Leak. Or... top off with ATF with Stop Leak.
O'reilly has plugs that screw right into the p/s/ to eliminate the hoses.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Postby Smiley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:24 am

Some people run a loop between the fittings, it will be a lot harder to turn than manual steering.
Monza manifolds will fit the best.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech