Replacing rear control arm bushings

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Replacing rear control arm bushings

Postby pcguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm

pcguy wrote:Ok, here's how I was able to get them off, well at least the first two of eight. Mount the arm horizontally in a sturdy vice with the ferrules horizontal. Heat the outside sleeve with a propane torch evenly all the way around. After the rubber has had a chance to start smokeing for about 3-4 minutes and with a long bolt through the ferrule, pull hard by hand. Might help to have some sort of handle on the threads - I was able to pull on just the nut. At first it only moved a little, but a bit more heat did the trick. The rubber doesn't melt, it just releases the bond.

Now all I need to do is get the new ones in there - probably some silicone grease and a vice.

Turns out that using the above method takes about 3 minutes per bushing - very simple.
2009 Corvette ZR1 - bone stock
1975 Vega Hatch - Built 350/TH350/3000 Stall - 400ish HP
pcguy

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am

-Deleted by poster -
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby 67shovel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:12 pm

I put aftermarket arms w/poly and sleeves in my 73 Vega wagon. Shake down run had terrible banging and clicking form the rear. Upon inspection I screwed up and used the stock control arm bolts which are necked down in the middle letting the arms move around. New grade 8's and it's real tight and quiet now.
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Postby MonzaRacer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:17 am

Too get the rubber out, take a propane torch and start heating it. it will smoke and burn but as soon as it gets liquid enough it will ooze out. Then let it cool and clean up accordingly. After the rubber is cleaned off a ball hone makes them smooth so old bushings slide in easier.
Ue plenty of the provided lube and antiseize on the bolts and sleeves.
MonzaRacer

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech