Please educate me

Moderator: Moderators

Please educate me

Postby garysol1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 am

My new to me 74 hatchback has had the original rear replaced with a Monza v8 unit. The car has the upper and lower control arms as well as a torque arm. Everything I have Googled shows the upper and lower control arms OR the torque arm but not both. Is what I have correct or good or bad ...... ? It seems to work and go down the road ok but I am just curious as to what I have before I go monkeying around back there.
garysol1

Re: Please educate me

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:14 am

4 link + torque arm = bind. The rear suspension would be traveling in two different arcs. Sounds like someone took a Monza rear end and welded on the upper control arm mounts. How is the torque arm connected to the transmission?
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby chevyart » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:01 pm

gary spence is totally correct on that. what someone did is like putting ladder bars on a leaf spring car(without sliders) the parts work against each other. dont know anything about torque arms, so maybe you should ask the next question. remove the Torque link (or) remove the 2 upper control arms. the 2 upper control arms may be ok, but the mounts they bolt into always need strengthening or they rip out.some of pressure is relieved from them if you use the anti hop brackets that raise the rear side of the upper control arms.im betting everyone will say to stay with the torque arm. i know they work well in the later camaros. make sure you find out if the torque arm is installed correctly in the right place. art
chevyart

Postby ROB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Do not remove the upper arms and go with the torque arm unless a pan hard rod was also installed. Failure to do so will leave the rear very unstable.
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby garysol1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I just got home from work and it is a bit to dark to get good pictures but I did take a pic of how the torque arm is mounted to the 700r4 as Spence asked. The 4 control arms and mounts are all stock and unmodified. Man... This car is so nice and clean but a few things make me shake my head in disgust and ask why as i learn more about these cars....

garysol1

Postby garysol1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 pm

ROB wrote:Do not remove the upper arms and go with the torque arm unless a pan hard rod was also installed. Failure to do so will leave the rear very unstable.

There is no panhard rod so I guess the easy answer for now at least is to simply remove the torque arm. Truth be told the car feels pretty good as is but I figured there has to be some binding going on. The car has NO wheel hop at all but is pretty rough over bumps. That may be why I guess.
garysol1

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:15 pm

It's hard to tell but the torque arm may be mounted in a way that it will slide front to back? If so, that would relief the binding. If it's solid then you are going to have some binding as mentioned. A panhard bar and torque arm replace the 2 upper arms. The panhard bar is responsible for holding the rear side to side under the car (this is what the 2 upper arms do as well in a 4 link setup) The torque arm controls axle windup which allows the two lower control arm to do their job of transferring power to the chassis.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby garysol1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm

cjbiagi wrote:It's hard to tell but the torque arm may be mounted in a way that it will slide front to back? If so, that would relief the binding. If it's solid then you are going to have some binding as mentioned. A panhard bar and torque arm replace the 2 upper arms. The panhard bar is responsible for holding the rear side to side under the car (this is what the 2 upper arms do as well in a 4 link setup) The torque arm controls axle windup which allows the two lower control arm to do their job of transferring power to the chassis.

Tomorrow I will try and get under the car and unbolt the torque arm from the rear and see if I am able to slide it front to back. Somehow I doubt I will be that lucky though....lol
garysol1

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:42 pm

That does look like a sliding torque arm mount; it does allow for fore and aft movement, but ultimately the upper control arms travel in a tighter arc than the torque arm and will bind. The splayed upper control arms are locating the rear end side to side, so as others have suggested, do NOT remove them unless you install a panhard bar. Im sure the torque arm is acting as a ladder bar to prevent wheel hop and stiffen up the rear suspension.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby garysol1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Okay..... So as much as I do not want to I suppose what I need to do is remove the rear coil springs from the car and move the rear end through its arc and see where and how much it binds.
garysol1

Postby RamIt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Sounds like a good idea to check for bind.
Don't "fix" it if its not broke. :)

Postby garysol1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 pm

RamIt wrote:Sounds like a good idea to check for bind.
Don't "fix" it if its not broke. :)

Hey, who knows. Maybe this is one of those screw ups that actually becomes a great accidental mod.
garysol1

Postby TimMcCabe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am

I had a friend who ran the 4 link along with the torque arm in his '73 notchback for years. It was running a 305 with a large shot of NOS and went like a bat outa hell in the 1/4. He had a sliding joint at the trans and never had any binding issues. The 4 link tends to have a lot of wheel hop (did I mention the 4 link has a lot of wheel hop :D ). The torque arm keeps the wheels planted.
I say if it works leave it as it is..

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech