front brake choice

Moderator: Moderators

front brake choice

Postby 72 notch back » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I am not sure what to go with for front brakes and spindles. I have stock 72 vega front end parts. I am trying to keep this car as light as possible. should I use my stock spindles and up grade to after market kit? or should I use S10 spindles and wildwood kit, I no there's more parts out there for the S10 but im looking for light weight. hope x-mas went well for all .
72 notch back

Re: front brake choice

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Your lightest upgrade may be to go with the stock Monza '76 ventilated rotors and calipers, some light grinding may be necessary to keep the rotor from scraping. You'll need the larger M/C.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby bugdewde » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:44 am

If you decide to go with the S-10 spindles, these guys have a lot of brake adapters available to use. http://www.flynbye.com/id71.html
Click on the "S-Series" to see S-10 stuff.

I used S-10 spindles (junk yard) and their adaptor ($75) and used a buddy's 4th Gen Camaro brakes (aluminum 2-piston calipers) that he sold after he upgraded..... it did require the spindle to be cut/ground/drilled/tapped to be used.
see Rickracer's post in the braking section for the pictorial of how it's done. This thread has a link to his Camaro brake to S-10 spindle swap: http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 42&start=0
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby vegastre » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Most upgrade to S-10 spindles and larger ball joints for better braking, safety, wheel, tire availability and cost. The upgrade is well worth the few extra pounds per side. The Vega is already pretty light unless your building an all out race deal.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:13 pm

If you decide on the S-10 Brake/Spindle combo there are lots of upgrades like kits that include 13" rotors, 4 Piston Aluminum calipers, with 2" or 3" drop etc. (SSBC) and others I believe and that is just for the front I am sure there are rear upgrade as well. I was looking for autocross/street brake combo, if you are looking for drag race I am sure you will find more choices and lighter too, two fold you and your wallet will cut 1.0sec off your time from the hemorrhage of cash, sweat, &tears! That first kit was $2300 and I stopped looking after that, just a little rich for my pocket book (by a factor of 10 :bang: ) Harry P.S. I can dig up a link for you if required.
[Edit ]Here is that link the price is now a lot more reasonable than I remember http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092691-disc-bra ... rotor.html :lol: and here's the rear just for the complete package http://ssbrakes.com/c-624171-vehicle-sp ... ducts.html Harry
Last edited by Monza Harry on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby T-FATTY » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 pm

I've got a pair of Don Hardy 5 lug rotors that replace stock 4 lug rotors and use stock calipers/spindles if your interested.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby Lenny c » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Use the S-10 spindle swap. Use can go to the aftermarket for upgrades if your budget allows. 95 and up two wheel drive Blazers (round body) use a larger two piston caliper,and an 11 inch rotor as well. With adaptors, the S-10 community uses Late model camaro/firebird front calipers (two pistons) and 12/13 vette rotors! Check on one of the s-10 forums for all the details. It is possible to swap in ABS also, using late model s-10 stuff as well. Hope this helps.....lenny
Lenny c

Postby dadhad1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Here's a recent post on this topic.
If you're looking to upgrade your brakes, and you want to keep it simple/effective, you can stay with your Vega spindles and upgrade to 76 & later Monza rotors, calipers, & pads.
They bolt right up.
Rotors are tough to find, but calipers/pads are all over.

Just another option for ya...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40660

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby bigbluerider » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:14 pm

To t-fatty , I worked at Wagner brake when we made the Son Hardy v-8 Vega 5 lug rotors , which are stock rotors drilled for 5 lug. There were cracking issues , as I remember , because the stud holes were so close to the hat. I am planning the s-10 spindle swap on my sunbird evevtually. First to get the 383 put together and get it back on the road.
bigbluerider

Postby megavega » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 pm

72 notch back wrote:I am not sure what to go with for front brakes and spindles. I have stock 72 vega front end parts. I am trying to keep this car as light as possible. should I use my stock spindles and up grade to after market kit? or should I use S10 spindles and wildwood kit, I no there's more parts out there for the S10 but im looking for light weight. hope x-mas went well for all .

the wilwood brakes are the lightest stuff youll find by far and it also converts the front over to 5 lug, you can use either the chevy pattern or the ford for whichever wheels you want to run. I had these brakes they go right onto your stock spindles.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech