Coil springs rubbers

Moderator: Moderators

Coil springs rubbers

Postby RED73V8 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 pm

I have a 73vega hatch back and I was wondering , does the coils springs , have rubber isolaters on both the top and bottom , or just on the top . This question is for both the front and rear ? Thanks for any input guys !
RED73V8

Re: Coil springs rubbers

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:11 am

I believe they just have them on the top. I know that's how a Monza is, I assume the Vega is the same.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby RED73V8 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:17 pm

I was thinking just the top as well , but wanted to be sure , Anyone else have some thoughts ? Thanks Guys !
RED73V8

Postby NVEGAR8D » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:13 am

Hi,
I just crept under my Vega to have a look as i was curious, and i can tell you i have rubber at both ends of my coils in the back.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby crawfw » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:32 am

My 79 sunbird had rubber on the top of the coils in front. Like a channeled wrap. The back just has hard rubber insulators that sit on top which are much needed to eliminate rubbing noise. Not sure on the vega setup. Hope that helps.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby RED73V8 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Well , guess I will probably go with them on top , if I get any noises after that I will know I should have done both lolol Thanks again
RED73V8

Postby Panic Button » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:40 pm

RED73V8 wrote:I have a 73vega hatch back and I was wondering , does the coils springs , have rubber isolaters on both the top and bottom , or just on the top . This question is for both the front and rear ? Thanks for any input guys !

Last night I pulled the rear springs out of my '73 GT wagon and there are rubber insulators top and bottom. They are all wasted and I need to get replacements, reason for looking here in the first place.
Current toys:
1973 Chevy Vega GT wagon, Chevy 355, 550+HP, Chevy turbo-350 manual shift trans, narrowed Chevy 12 bolt rear end.

1992 Mazda Miata, LS1, 350 HP, Chevy 4L65E trans, Ford 7.5 IRS rear end.

Long ago (40 years) but not forgotten toys:
1972 Chevy Vega GT wagon (bought it when it was six months old!) Chevy 350, Chevy turbo-400, narrowed Chevy 10 bolt rear end. It was the second v8 Vega in Washington.

1967 VW bug, mid engine Chevy 327, Corvair four speed manual transaxle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016908821 ... redirect=1
Panic Button

Re:Front Coil springs Isolators

Postby RED73V8 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

You guys helped me with the question on the rear isolators , now for the front . I have my new front coil springs ,so do I need isolators for the top and bottom , or just the top ?? I just want to have the parts in hand as I take the car apart . I checked the shop manual to no help , so I call for your help once again ! Thanks
RED73V8

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I believe they are just on top. Finding NOS ones is nearly impossible. A great alternative is to use 1/2" rubber hose and slide it on to the top coil. Works perfect...
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Smiley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

I have used rubber hose also, a little direct foam dish soap in the hose to help it slide on the coil.
Smiley

Postby dadhad1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 pm

I always wondered this with my car. I thought something might have been missing.
It's a 75 CW and all it had when I bought it is a metal 'cone' on the top that nests into the top of the coil with a rounded bottom and just the metal coil base on the bottom.
So essentially metal to metal, which never seemed factory to me and figured something was missing.
Anyone know what a 75 CW SHOULD have back there?
I have a 1" spacer on the bottom now that has a solid top to it so risk for metal on metal is still there.
I don't think I've ever come close and I think something else (like tires to wheel well would hit first), but just curious all the same...

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:47 pm

dadhad1 wrote:I always wondered this with my car. I thought something might have been missing.
It's a 75 CW and all it had when I bought it is a metal 'cone' on the top that nests into the top of the coil with a rounded bottom and just the metal coil base on the bottom.
So essentially metal to metal, which never seemed factory to me and figured something was missing.
Anyone know what a 75 CW SHOULD have back there?
I have a 1" spacer on the bottom now that has a solid top to it so risk for metal on metal is still there.
I don't think I've ever come close and I think something else (like tires to wheel well would hit first), but just curious all the same...

Mike

Mike,
All the rear ones I have seen are on the top only, the lower part of the coils are metal to metal.
Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 am

The insulator isolates noise transfer to the interior. It's not needed at the bottom as the rubber control arm bushings do the isolating.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby dadhad1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:22 pm

See pic. Is this what the factory ones looked like?
So just 1 of these at the top of each coil?
Because of that cone I spoke of, I'm not seeing how they could go on the top in my car.

Anyone have any stock suspension pics with the insulators/upper coil cone set up I'm talking about?

My car didn't have any when I got it, so I assume they dried up and fell out along the years...

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby RamIt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm

dadhad1 wrote:Because of that cone I spoke of, I'm not seeing how they could go on the top in my car.

Anyone have any stock suspension pics with the insulators/upper coil cone set up I'm talking about?

My car didn't have any when I got it, so I assume they dried up and fell out along the years...

Mike

This is my crusty 75 cosworth. Those metal cones are for holding the rear bump stops.
I can't see any rubber insulators top or bottom.
ImageImage
Last edited by RamIt on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech