Help: Rear springs and cushions

Moderator: Moderators

Help: Rear springs and cushions

Postby Panic Button » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Last night I pulled the rear springs from my recently purchased ’73 GT wagon as the drivers side was sitting much lower than the passenger side. The previous owner told me it was setup that way for racing, but after pulling the springs and finding them to be mostly identical, I can only think that isn’t the case. I thought I would find two different springs, or the left side spring had been cut, but that’s not the case. I can only think the left spring is worn out from all the hard racing causing it to sag under load, as they both seem to be the same height just sitting there with no load. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say these springs were the original Vega springs or some very old replacements. I recall about 40 years ago when I v8’d my ’72 GT wagon and put in a narrowed Camaro 10 bolt that I re-used the original springs that were in the car.

I compared the specs of the Moog 6377 and they seem to match almost perfectly to mine. Bar diameter is between .5020” and .5055”, close enough to Moog .50”, the ID is 4.25” (Moog 4.31”), OD is 5.375” (Moog not listed), and free height of 13.687” (Moog 13.69”), all so close to the 6377 specs and the fact that the 6377 is listed for a ’73 Vega.

I’ve searched around until I got a headache and found that some use a spring from a Camaro, ’82-‘9? But no one listed any part numbers that I saw. It seems these springs will raise the back up an extra .5” - 1.5” and I don’t want to do that. The car sat just right on the passenger side and that’s were I’d like the drivers side to be, so I’m hoping the drivers spring is just worn and getting new of the same will put it level again.

I can’t confirm the springs I have are a 6377 since there are no ID markings on the springs but it seems logical that they are by the specs.

I also need to get the upper and lower spring cushions as they are worn out and what I found is someone had mentioned the cushions for the Camaro would work, again I didn’t see any part numbers. What have others used for the cushions as I’m not finding much on the web, maybe I can get a hold of the GM dealer parts department and see if anything is still available.

Any and all input is would be greatly appreciated. TIA Duffy
Current toys:
1973 Chevy Vega GT wagon, Chevy 355, 550+HP, Chevy turbo-350 manual shift trans, narrowed Chevy 12 bolt rear end.

1992 Mazda Miata, LS1, 350 HP, Chevy 4L65E trans, Ford 7.5 IRS rear end.

Long ago (40 years) but not forgotten toys:
1972 Chevy Vega GT wagon (bought it when it was six months old!) Chevy 350, Chevy turbo-400, narrowed Chevy 10 bolt rear end. It was the second v8 Vega in Washington.

1967 VW bug, mid engine Chevy 327, Corvair four speed manual transaxle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016908821 ... redirect=1
Panic Button

Re: Help: Rear springs and cushions

Postby garysol1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 pm

if it were me I would reinstall the springs on the opposite sides and see if the car leans to the passenger side just to make sure it is indeed a spring issue......
garysol1

Re: Help: Rear springs and cushions

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Tia I think you are on the right path there with your analysis of the springs, for the rubbers I would check out sites like AutoZone, Advance etc. I would check the third gen. cars (Camaro) as I have checked some of these and found nothing for my Monza (I haven't checked in awhile though) or the other choice is Energy Sus., Polygraphite etc. for the urethane isolators (much easier when you have the sizes in front of you as you do) you may need to look in the universal section. Then I would do as Gary suggested as that is an easy check, I had a car that sat uneven in the rear and the problem turned out to be the front spring caught in the spring pocket from a little "off road" excursion and the rear was fine totally different than it looked as the front didn't look as bad as the rear! Keep us posted Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech