Front control arm bushing ????

Moderator: Moderators

Front control arm bushing ????

Postby garysol1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:16 am

This same question was asked a few years ago but I want to make sure the answer is still the same. Tomorrow we are replacing all of the front control arm bushings with the the Energy Suspension poly bushings. Am I correct in assuming that I am supposed to still use the ferrules with these bushings? I have a bag of brand new ferruls and I need to veriy that they are to be used. Are there any issues with installing these bushings that I need to be aware of besides that the old cam bolts can be a bear to get off? Thanks
garysol1

Re: Front control arm bushing ????

Postby 76wagon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 am

Yes you'll need them. Where did you get new ones? Last time I had to buy some the guy at the dealership said they were the last ones GM had in Canada

Phill
76wagon

Postby garysol1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 am

I found mine on EBay. They are custom fabricated and I am pretty sure they are the same ones as shown in this thread... http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37240
garysol1

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 pm

You need them because the holes in the frame are elongated to allow for alignment adjustment and without them the bushing sleeve would pull through the hole. The key factor to check is whether the lip of the ferrule fits inside the poly control arm bushing. The cam bolts are 1/2" but the hole in the bushing is larger to accept the lip on the ferrules which have a 1/2" id dimension.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 76wagon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 pm

The ferrules fit in the Energy pieces just like stock. Only advice I'd give is to not be stingy with the grease on those bushings, sucks to redo your whole suspension and have it squeak (ask me how I know :cuss: )
76wagon

Postby garysol1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Guess I'll grab a another tube of grease :) thanks guys
garysol1

Postby kgroombr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I have had really good luck with the polygraphite bushings.

http://www.p-s-t.com/

I think the nearly every bushing for h-bodies. The last rear control arm kit I purchased from them (some time ago) included a polygraphite torque arm bushing too.

Ken

From their page:

One of the primary problem areas in classic musclecar suspensions is the use of rubber bushings. They were cheap to manufacture for mass production and provided isolation from road noise and vibration, but rubber has a significant tradeoff – its relatively soft durometer (hardness) allows for significant deflection of the chassis components under load. The rubber bushings twist and deform as the suspension components rotate, causing premature wear and unpredictable handling. Rubber eventually dry rots when exposed to the elements
and degrades in the presence of grease and oil.

PST perfected polyurethane with the introduction of POLYGRAPHITE® - a special formula incorporating a low-friction graphite lubricant into the actual bushing material. With POLYGRAPHITE®, you get the near-zero deflection performance of polyurethane with a self-lubricating bushing. As an added benefit, POLYGRAPHITE® is impervious to grease, oil, weather, and other natural elements and will never dry rot. PST has the most complete line of POLYGRAPHITE® bushings available for your GM musclecar. Replace components as needed, or save time, money, and reap the ultimate performance benefits by installing one of our Complete POLYGRAPHITE® Kits on your vehicle today!
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby DjetMech » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Does any one know where I can get ahold of some lower control bushing cap washer (ferrules)? Also how many are required? I've heard that 8 are required but haven't seen any proof of that, just asking because I have a drawing of the Vega Front Suspension and it shows only 4 of those washer/Ferrules 2 on each forward lower control arm bushings.
DjetMech

Postby garysol1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:46 pm

I purchased mine from Ebay seller jgwing04. They were brand new reproductions. Below is his info.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/jgwing04
garysol1

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:31 pm

monzaaddict

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech