Ever run a V8 Vega without K member or engine crossmember ?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ever run a V8 Vega without K member or engine crossmembe

Postby HAULIN' IT » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Mine had been removed by the previous owner during the V8 swap. The only thing between the lower control arms was a piece of 1" square tubing...held in place by 1 3/8" bolt on each side! No sleeves for the bolts or anything, so as the bolt was tightened...the tube crushed a little...WOW!
Needless to say...even the kid that I was, knew that had to be incorrect. The tires were all wore funny & you could watch it tilt as the steering wheel was turned. I swear the front motor mount set-up really was what was holding the car together.
Of course this was done to clear the oilpan like your thinking. My solution then was to notch the oilpan & weld in a 1 1/2" square tube with a couple plates going back toward the rear bolt for the control arms. This worked fine, however later I learned that the whole unit originally bolted in (I had thought he cut a welded in structure of the vehicle when I bought it) & purchased the correct parts, a V8 Monza pan & mounts. This is really the way to go...at least some version of mounts & the stock structure or designed aftermarket unit. My Two Cents, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Re: Ever run a V8 Vega without K member or engine crossmembe

Postby 454Vega » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Running the aftermarket v-8 conversion front motor plate set-up will help tie the front end together helping with the (spreading)issue.I have been running a big block on these terrible new england roads for two years,blowing the tires off every time I take it out (gotta love the 30 mph rolling drop into second 100 ft. posi runs :shock: with a slightly modified X- brace and front motor plate and have no signs of anything moving .....yet :D
454Vega

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech