'73 Vega front calipers: "to grease or not to grease..."

Moderator: Moderators

'73 Vega front calipers: "to grease or not to grease..."

Postby robert123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:40 am

Going to do a simple brake job on the Vega -- may go s-10 brakes later.

Seems like most manuals want front calipers greased (anti-seize)
applied to the 'track' the caliper slides on and on metal 'ears' of the brake pads
-- to lubricate moving parts and prevent evil squeaks.

Questions

1. Should these plastic bushings be lubricated? My Chilton manual doesn't
'splain that to well.
2. Do the plastic bushings themselves slide...or just the caliper & pads
on top of the plastic bushings?
3. No clips or retaining nuts were on both calipers. Are these clips/nuts
available at most part stores? Any unique ideas of keeping 'yon bolts in place?
Last edited by robert123 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Re: '73 Vega front calipers: "to grease or not to grease...

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 am

The plastic bushings and pins do not get lubricated as they don't move once in. There should be a "c" clip or a push on clip that retains the pin. If there is a groove on the end of the pin you can use the C clip, if it is smooth then you need the push on clip. The areas that need lub are the back of the pads and anywhere there is metal to metal contact between the pad and the caliper. There is special grease to be used on there to withstand the heat. The clips should be available at any parts store.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby robert123 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:31 am

cjbiagi wrote:The plastic bushings and pins do not get lubricated as they don't move once in. There should be a "c" clip or a push on clip that retains the pin. If there is a groove on the end of the pin you can use the C clip, if it is smooth then you need the push on clip. The areas that need lube are the back of the pads and anywhere there is metal to metal contact between the pad and the caliper. There is special grease to be used on there to withstand the heat. The clips should be available at any parts store.

Great, thanks a lot.

My pads had silicone (like caulk) on the back of the pads -- guess to cushion...anti-rattle...anti-squeak.
So can use special disc brake grease on the back of pads or silicone?

(FYI)
1) found some 7/32 E Rings (see photo)-- made of very strong steel -- that fit the caliper pins (has groove) very good.
Just .20 cents each at local hardware store -- nuts & bolts section.

2) 3/8 E Ring seems (see photo) to fit on the master cylinder pushrod retaining clip. (Haven't double checked that -- may need
a bigger E-Ring.)

So great news..........E- Rings only .15 to 22 cents each at local hardware/parts stores :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback, stock, 4-speed
robert123

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:07 am

I use grease designed for brake parts but it is silicon based so either should be fine. Sometimes you can get it in small packs from auto store or NAPA sells a 4oz tube of it. T E clips look perfect. Just lubricate where there is metal to metal contact on the pad and caliper as well as where the caliper fits on the spindle and you should be good.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:20 pm

CRC used to make a product for the back of the pads to `glue `the pads to the caliper & piston to stop the noise, before most pads came with `shims`` I easily found this in a 5 sec. search from Permatex http://www.permatex.com/products-2/prod ... iet-detail and the CRC http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 48169_0_0_ I am not sure what that `white powder is :? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MonzaRacer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Using the lube on the steel pins wont hurt a thing, as stated a thin coat of silicone brake lube on backs of pads and where the metal edges sit/ride. If you have vented rotors and want a second, spare set of new pads I do have a NEW set of semi metallic pads, these wont work on solid rotors,
Takes little manipulating the plastic/rubber parts on with caliper then install pins.
Good Luck
MonzaRacer

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech