spring insulator.. how many needed..

Moderator: Moderators

spring insulator.. how many needed..

Postby 1bad72 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:00 am

ok guys this is my first time..so take it easy... :shock: lol. i have a 73 vega shallow pocket LCA. i am upgrading the springs so before i start tearing it all apart i want to have all my parts ready.. my question is how many spring insulators are there per side. just 1 upper or is there also a lower..
1bad72

Re: spring insulator.. how many needed..

Postby Monza Harry » Sun May 11, 2014 12:19 am

My cars had only one per side. You may have some problems with spring selection as the shallow arms were only used on the earlier car IIRC. I would check the search function for the "Shallow Pocket Control Arms" and read up first, My H-Body cars were all Deep pocket so my memory isn't sharp on this but I know many guy's swap after the V8 swap to allow a better spring selection. Others will chime in, still lots of informative reading on this subject here on this board. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun May 11, 2014 7:23 am

Yes, there were only isolators on top of the front springs. The stock isolators are pretty much impossible to find but a very suitable replacement can be made by slipping a rubber hose on the top coil. Usually a 1/2" hose will fit and makes for a very nice isolator. Not sure what you mean by upgrading the springs, if you are just going to replace them with new stock ones or something else. The shallow arms only came on the early cars meaning no V6 or V8 options so the spring selection was just for 4 cyl cars.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Mon May 12, 2014 1:46 pm

i thought we discussed this recently and it was determined that there were only factory spring insulators installed on the rear (upper side )of coil spring on all h-body cars. these insulators can be bought today(i think), as replacements for early 70s chevelles, Olds, etc. art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

There were definitely isolators on the top of the front springs. The rear springs don't directly have any isolators on them, they sit against a pad that has the rubber cone (bump stop) that fits down inside of the spring. There is a rubber pad on this cone assembly between the pad and the chassis.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 pm

cj do the rubber rear spring insulators on the full body cars i mentioned fit into this discussion on the h-bodies. thanks art
chevyart

Postby 1bad72 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 pm

thanks guys for the quick responses...
1bad72

Postby cjbiagi » Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 pm

The full body cars are different i believe. Whether you could adapt them to a H body I don't know. i still maintain using a 1/2' diameter hose on the top coil is the cleanest, simplest solution.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Mon May 12, 2014 10:01 pm

just read an old post by peterpan. he uses the 82-92 camaro rear upper rubber isolators along with the 82-92 camaro springs art
chevyart

Postby cosvega76 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 am

cjbiagi wrote:There were definitely isolators on the top of the front springs. The rear springs don't directly have any isolators on them, they sit against a pad that has the rubber cone (bump stop) that fits down inside of the spring. There is a rubber pad on this cone assembly between the pad and the chassis.

Clyde,

Just as an aside, the early Vegas didn't have the cone in the middle of the spring, they had a separate bumper bushing attached to the axle tube that contacted the body above the lower control arm.

Vega rear suspension.jpg

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue May 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Chuck, I am not as familar with the early Vega's ............
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Tue May 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Bad '72 Energy also offers "universal" isolators, here is a link to the page, and a page for lift Isolators. http://energysuspension.com/universal-p ... ators.html http://energysuspension.com/products/Co ... lator.html I doubt this type interests anybody here but maybe useful just the same! They offer allsorts of "COOL Crap" just follow the links. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech