Power steering installation

Moderator: Moderators

Power steering installation

Postby irock49 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm installing power steering in a '79 Sunbird and have a couple of questions. In the telescoping steering shaft there appear to be two (relatively) soft metal pins pressed in perpendicular to the shaft. I assume these are made to shear in the event of an accident so the driver doesn't get stabbed by the steering shaft. The power steering input shaft is a couple of inches longer than the shaft on the manual steering box so I need to collapse the steering shaft a little to fit the power steering. Will these pins press out or will I have to drill them? Trying to tap them out with a hammer and a drift hasn't worked so far. They haven't budged.

The power steering box has a 3/4" x 30 spline input shaft. I haven't taken off the manual steering box yet. Does anyone know if they're the same size?

(Edit 7/12/14) Got the manual box off and they're not the same size. Manual inpt shaft is smaller and so is the output shaft. Had to get a new Pitman arm to match the power steering box.
Last edited by irock49 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irock49

Re: Power steering installation

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:41 pm

they are plastic or resin.
monzaaddict

Postby Smiley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:59 am

There should be a groove in the inner shaft and holes in the outer tube where the plastic was injected to stabilize the slip joint but still allow it to collapse.
Warm it up with a propane torch while applying pressure it the direction you want to move it.
Smiley

Postby irock49 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for the tip - it worked. I heated up the outer steering shaft with a propane torch until the plastic resin started to melt and bubble out of the vent holes, then I clamped a set of vise-grips (Craftsman, so if I broke them Sears would replace it) to the inner shaft and tapped it out with a ball peen hammer.
irock49

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech