Aerospace prostreet brakes

Moderator: Moderators

Aerospace prostreet brakes

Postby RED73V8 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Has anyone used the Aeroospace Components prostreet front brake kit on their vega ? They are having a 20% off sale right now(for the next couple of days ) and I am thinking about buying them while they are on sale ! Any info on these would be greatly appreciated .Thanks again for all your help Don
RED73V8

Re: Aerospace prostreet brakes

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:44 am

They're pretty much for drag racing only, especially the single-piston caliper version. Monza or S-10 would be a better choice for the street.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

Aerospace is making "big brake" kits as well as some other versions besides the light weight drag brakes. So it really depends upon which kit you choose. I know they make drag brakes for H bodies, not sure about their other line of brakes. I would be surprised if they made a direct bolt on kit for H bodies in their other lines but that would be nice.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby T-FATTY » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 am

I went to the site, they also have street car brakes listed when I searched "Vega". I'll stick with my dual piston S10 vs the $900 set up I saw. They look great thought.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:28 pm

I went and checked them out as well, and when I get closer (Win the Lottery :bang: ) I will send them an eMail or two I am sure, 11 3/4" discs, 4 piston calipers, aluminum as far as the eye can see! If you start from scratch with an S10 brake upgrade with new lowered spindles new hubs rotors calipers and the kit to adapt those big brakes to the S10 spindles you will be way over that price and you will have the misgivings of the S-truck swap parts, improper camber, ineffectual Ackerman, etc. but you would have cheaper ball joints. Plus you would still have to do the rear as a brake that big in the front would throw the front/rear bias way out side the range of most proportioning valves. Even if you just go S10 parts you really will not gain much in the braking department, my daily driver is a Sonoma with the single piston brakes and they aren't even close to being enough for the stock 4.3L V6. The SSBC brake upgrade for the S-trucks was $2300 (fronts only)when it was available, OUCH! Just my thoughts on this! Harry
Last edited by Monza Harry on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RED73V8 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies , It turns out the sale on the brakes is on till Aug 31 , so I have a little more time to research but the pro street set up on sale price is $725 including the brake lines , not to bad for the setup . I am running a ford 8.8 rear with the drums , not sure if I will have a bias problem , if I do , I believe I can have portioning valve installed later .Think this might make a good winter project as I could really use some better braking in my vega !!
RED73V8

Postby gt350fme » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:26 pm

I have the complete pro street kit from Areospace, finished with the front install recently, nice stuff if you can afford.
Also have the rear kit for my 9inch ford.
You will need to have at least 15 inch rims or larger and be aware of the offset or you will have clearance issues with the big 4 piston calipers, my front calipers needed some grinding for clearance and a small wheel shim to make fit well on 15 inch rims.
The new master cylinder also was not exactly a bolt in but close, the firewall and brake support parts that continue under the steering colume inside needed slight adjustments to fit the new master bolt pattern.
Unfortunatly this car is not on the road yet so I know not how they work.
GT

P.S. Yes You will need a Proportioning valve installed in the rear brake line somewhere for bias.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby RED73V8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks for the help Gt that was some good info - still trying to decide what avenue to go - would like to get this setup on my 73 !
RED73V8

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech