popping in the front end

Moderator: Moderators

popping in the front end

Postby mirage_brat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:39 am

Im having an issue with a loud popping sound coming from the front of my 77 monza driverside. I thought it was my lower shock mount but those are tight. not sure if its my ball joints or control arm bushings... it pops every time i hit a bump.
mirage_brat

Re: popping in the front end

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:35 am

It could also be the sway bar connecting bolts. The rubber bushings sometimes split and fall off. A visual check would eliminate those.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby mirage_brat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:31 pm

The car didnt come with a sway so my dad and i put one on there from a different monza from the same year with new sway bar links.
mirage_brat

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 pm

I am not sure what the popping is but it could be something simple or something serious. Does it do it when you bounce the car up and down? Could be anything from a loose bolt to a bad ball joint. You may need to get it jacked up and have someone bounce the car and start investigating. You don't want something to break on the road....
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mirage_brat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 am

Yes it pops when I bounce it up and down.
mirage_brat

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:05 am

Have you jacked it up and tried to move the wheel by grabbing it top and bottom and rocking it? Sounds like it could be a ball joint. I hope you're not driving it.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:11 am

Ok, since it pops when you bounce it, it should be easy to get under there while someone is bouncing it and start listening and feeling where the noise is coming from. put you hand on the balljoints, shock absorber, control arm etc and see if you can feel it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mirage_brat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 am

Is there anyway i can get ball joints and control arm bushings for it and where can i get them?
mirage_brat

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:08 pm

MB Try "PST" and maybe "Polycarbonate?" Energy suspension still carries the Urethane bushings for Vega/Monza, rubber will be tougher but not impossible! I'll throw up a link for you Harry http://catalog.p-s-t.com/index.php?c=Sg ... figID=1336 I hope they can help. I have used them for my tie rod adjusting sleeves and that transaction went smooth as silk! http://energysuspension.com/index.html I have these (not installed yet) ant they are pieces of beauty!
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Yes it pops when I bounce it up and down.

Beentherdonethat,
IMHO, if not a badly worn bushing then Its a inner or outer Balljoint. You don't need to bounce the car. Just try wiggling the balljoints and you should find the bad one. It will feel loose with a lot of slop and play.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby mirage_brat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:15 am

ok so i ordered a kit online and got everything replaced. my dad and i hit a snag we cant get the springs to seat in the control arms. is there any special spring compressor to get the job done? if so what is the model number on the spring compressor
mirage_brat

Postby crawfw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:28 am

I used a one of these. I believe it's for struts but works well. Have to remove the catch arms and go down through the top shock mount hole. Then screw on the bottom catch arms only. I had to ream out the top shock hole slightly for the tool to go through. Good luck and be safe. I was too nervous to remove them without this tool. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:45 am

You have to have the springs indexed properly for them to seat. There is a small hole on the bottom of the control arm, the end of the spring should be aligned with this hole if I remember correctly.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 am

The top of the spring also has to be in the correct position. Check to see if the rubber isolater is stuck in the upper pocket, it's easier to place the isolater on the top of the spring. Make sure the upper end is clocked correctly.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby mirage_brat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am

crawfw wrote:I used a one of these. I believe it's for struts but works well. Have to remove the catch arms and go down through the top shock mount hole. Then screw on the bottom catch arms only. I had to ream out the top shock hole slightly for the tool to go through. Good luck and be safe. I was too nervous to remove them without this tool. Lol

Did you have the lower control arm on or off the body when you did this?
mirage_brat

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech