Major brake job on 76 Astre

Moderator: Moderators

Major brake job on 76 Astre

Postby H body Al » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 am

Hi,
I am doing a major brake job on my 1976 Astre 70 K miles with original manual brake setup. I plan to replace basically everything except the metal brake lines. Although I have done brake jobs before, I have never replaced so much at one time and would like to ask for some help from you guys and gals.
First of all, what is the best sequence to change out the parts? And also, my Master Cylinder works just fine, but is the old single tank kind. (I also had this style on my 77 Hatch, it started bypassing and I changed it out for a dual.) Should I change the Master Cylinder now while doing the rest of the brake job. Or just leave it in for now? And wow that single rear rubber brake line looks difficult to access. Honestly the brake lines all appear to be OK, but everything on these brakes looks really old. I guess I am seeking a little advice on this from a more experienced person on what to do here.I have all the needed parts. I even have a rebuilt loaded Power Brake Booster, if I wanted to go that route, but cannot seem to locate the longer inside support strut. I plan to keep take this car to the grave, so I want to do this right, but I am not wealthy enough to throw a bunch of money into the car at one time. Thank you in advance for taking time to help me out, Al.
H Body Al: 1976 Astre Notchback; 1977 Astre Hatchback; 1978 Sunbird Safari Wagon. All 3 Body Styles!
H body Al

1977 Pontiac Astre

Re: Major brake job on 76 Astre

Postby cosvega76 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:15 am

Al,

It certainly is a good idea to just replace all of the hydraulic parts if they look questionable, the vehicle has sat for a length of time, and if you are planning to keep and drive it for a while. It may be pricy now, but you'll never have to worry about it again, and you only have to deal with the brake fluid and bleeding once. To save money you can certainly inspect and only replace the parts that look bad. If the master cylinder holds steady with pressure on the pedal it's probably okay. That sheet-metal, large single-reservoir master was pretty much a one-year part. Replacements are the dual-reservoir, cast iron type, as you've noted.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby H body Al » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:02 am

Okay. Thank you Chuck. Just so you know, the single master was on both my 76 and 77. So maybe it was a two year thing?
H Body Al: 1976 Astre Notchback; 1977 Astre Hatchback; 1978 Sunbird Safari Wagon. All 3 Body Styles!
H body Al

1977 Pontiac Astre

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:28 pm

That's very possible. I know none of the aftermarket manufacturers jumped on that bandwagon! For later cars, I've only had '76 Cosworths, never any Vegas newer that that.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Al both of my '76's had the dual cast M/C. Is it possible that they interchange, and a less than reputable parts store offered these as re-man units? Both of my cars were newer cars when I bought them so I doubt they had been changed at that time, the Monza had only 49K miles back then (early '82). Just a thought. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 am

Harry,

I don't think the Monzas got the stamped-steel master, probably just a Vega thing. The '79 Monza I bought brand new had a cast-iron master.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby H body Al » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks guys. Best of luck to you Monza Men. I like Monzas and have noticed a lot for them for sale lately.
H body Al

1977 Pontiac Astre

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech