76 Monza wheel cylinder question

Moderator: Moderators

76 Monza wheel cylinder question

Postby gunner » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:38 pm

When looking up a replacement wheel cylinders for a 76 they show two different types for this application under the same part number. I ordered two bendix wheel cylinders under the same part number and got two different ones. One is longer than the other and has the rubber boot ends recessed in the cylinder while the other one which is shorter has the rubber caps on each end. I was told either one would work. Not knowing one was longer than the other I installed them with no problem. The longer one was installed on the left side. During my test drive I discovered the left rear tire would lock up. After some investigation is when I discovered one was longer than the other and I know the bigger the wheel cylinder the more prone you are to have wheel lock up. I installed the shorter one to match the other side and the problem is gone. My question is which one originally came on the car and why do they list the two different types for this application. Which one is correct. I would thank the shorter one is correct because it is less prone to lock up your rear wheels.
gunner

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech