'72 Vega, convert to power steering

Moderator: Moderators

'72 Vega, convert to power steering

Postby b_pappy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Well as my project creep begins to take hold, we are now converting to power steering.
It looke like I need a new steering box, pump and pitman arm, correct?
Are the steering shafts the same length?
Bruce
b_pappy

Re: '72 Vega, convert to power steering

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Bruce,

Yes, you'll need a power steering gearbox (H-body would be best, as it has the correct stops in it, but others can be made to work), a pump and attaching brackets (you may need to be creative with these on a Vega - you can see how I did mine in the Garage section), and the correct H-body pitman arm.

Since the steering input shaft is collapsible you can reuse it, but you'll have to change the spline on the end to match the gearbox. Generally, H-bodies with power steering had a two-piece shaft, with the rag joint at the top where it connects to the column. I used a u-joint on the gearbox end from Flaming River.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:02 pm

cosvega76 wrote:Bruce,

Yes, you'll need a power steering gearbox (H-body would be best, as it has the correct stops in it, but others can be made to work), a pump and attaching brackets (you may need to be creative with these on a Vega - you can see how I did mine in the Garage section), and the correct H-body pitman arm.

Since the steering input shaft is collapsible you can reuse it, but you'll have to change the spline on the end to match the gearbox. Generally, H-bodies with power steering had a two-piece shaft, with the rag joint at the top where it connects to the column. I used a u-joint on the gearbox end from Flaming River.

Chuck

I think the centerlink is different also.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks, Dick, yes it is.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby b_pappy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Looks like finding all the parts may be difficult. I'm beginning to think I need to pick up a parts car.
b_pappy

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech