Help !! correct way to replace brake shoes 75 astre

Moderator: Moderators

Help !! correct way to replace brake shoes 75 astre

Postby rhyolite » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Guys,

Probably another dumb question :) But i'm unfamiliar with the "parking brake adjusting system".
And must admit my english leaves me a little in the dark when reading the instructions in the manuals.

here's the problem :
I'm trying to replace my brake shoes, removed the drum, etc etc ... Have a set of new shoes and springs (so all parts are there i guess)
this is a 75 astre, so there is no automatic brake adjusting system, but this is supposedly done by using the handbrake.
Although there is some sort of strut running between the shoes, with some sort of widget thingie on it?

My thoughts, remove the springs, remove the shoes, do a little check and put it back togheter, simple ...
But the manual is talking about stuff concerning the handbrake mechanism (adjusting things).
Also other threads on this forums mention a special tool for the "widget thingie on the strut) and I don't have
that specific tool (yet).

So the question for me is, what do I need to do? Am i able to replace the shoes at this moment? Do I need the special tool?
What is involved with the handbrake?

Can some please tell me in the most simple english, what I need to do to replace my brake shoes and if I need the special
tool to do it ... Because parts are made from unobtanium on this side of the ocean I don't want to break anything :)

Any help on this "simple" job would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks very much :)

Tiemen
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre SJ Safari wagon
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 1993 Jeep chief Cherokee XJ
- 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Y87 V6 3.8
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech