Coil over ???

Moderator: Moderators

Coil over ???

Postby Ckill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:53 pm

What is everybody's opinion of coil overs on a street car? I have a 75 vega and plan to do a pro-touring build. I would just like to hear what everybody's input is on drivability and ride quality, handling ect. Feel free to chime in not trying to start a huge debate just good pros and cons from everyone's experience.

Thanks
Chris
Ckill

Re: Coil over ???

Postby b_pappy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:56 pm

On my '72 wagon I'm doing them up front, possibly out back too. From other cars, easier suspension tuning. I think it's pretty slick.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:44 pm

with respect to an h body the stock rear shock mounts are not designed to support the weight of the car. I personally would not use air shocks or coil overs.
monzaaddict

Postby Ckill » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks guys keep the info coming. I didn't make specifics but the rear will get some work to properly install coil overs. Actually thinking of upgrading to tubular rear control arms and replacing coil springs with coilovers. Thinking I will relocate lower arms inboard to help with wheel and tire fitment if necessary. Going to try to do staggered fitment wheels 16's front and 18's rear. I think that will be a good proportion for the wheel well gauging from 18-20" that people do on camaro.

While we are on the subject of suspension what are opinions on air ride technology's "shock waves". Air done correctly does ride quite well and I've seen some on big HP cars so surely they can handle the power.
Ckill

Postby b_pappy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Correct, don't just throw air shocks or coilovers under there without some reinforcing.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby MonzaRacer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:59 am

Ok as for a shock waves they have never had an Hbody to fit anything in and so the don't have off the shelf figment.
BUT being I know these guys, live 30 wish miles from their front door and my mom is like mile up the road from the shop I have been talking to them, working on my car and trying to figure out HOW to fit a pair on my 77 Monza.
So far I from my observation, measurement I have kind of figured the outer spring pocket would have to come off, a reinforcment plate bolted or welded on and use an adjuatable street rod stud top reunion bottom WITH a stout , welded in reinforcement plate in the control arm.
Real estate under our front ends is just super limited. Been talking to a guy who used to help prep IMSA Monza's. Even coil over are hard to package.
I have been planning to use CoilOvers on mine simply for tuning and packaging reasons.
When I upgrade my front shocks on my old 77 I used 94 S10 2wd Monroe Reflex shocks and my god the difference was night and day. Handling quality went up about 300%.
S10/Gbody spec length coil over should fit. But proper reinforcement in upper shock mount and control arm will be needed.
Since I think I have some chance of getting more done this year I might have so added info here in next few weeks.
My issue is too many projects, getting truck running, bike running, my new big car 66 Caprice 4 Dr hardtop(NO POST) project.
Guess time and funds will tell.
MonzaRacer

Postby MonzaRacer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:00 am

Ok as for a shock waves they have never had an Hbody to fit anything in and so the don't have off the shelf figment.
BUT being I know these guys, live 30 wish miles from their front door and my mom is like mile up the road from the shop I have been talking to them, working on my car and trying to figure out HOW to fit a pair on my 77 Monza.
So far I from my observation, measurement I have kind of figured the outer spring pocket would have to come off, a reinforcment plate bolted or welded on and use an adjuatable street rod stud top reunion bottom WITH a stout , welded in reinforcement plate in the control arm.
Real estate under our front ends is just super limited. Been talking to a guy who used to help prep IMSA Monza's. Even coil over are hard to package.
I have been planning to use CoilOvers on mine simply for tuning and packaging reasons.
When I upgrade my front shocks on my old 77 I used 94 S10 2wd Monroe Reflex shocks and my god the difference was night and day. Handling quality went up about 300%.
S10/Gbody spec length coil over should fit. But proper reinforcement in upper shock mount and control arm will be needed.
Since I think I have some chance of getting more done this year I might have so added info here in next few weeks.
My issue is too many projects, getting truck running, bike running, my new big car 66 Caprice 4 Dr hardtop(NO POST) project.
Guess time and funds will tell.
MonzaRacer

Postby Ckill » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks monzaracer for your info. Maybe you can befriend the guys at ride-tech and work out some ideas for us.
My build is still in the planning stage. It got put on the back shelf for about 28 years thankfully since tech has changed so much for the better. I'm still thinking I might want to do air-ride on mine because it will be a street driven car and I do want a good ride and maintain good handling when needed. Keep me informed.

Thanks Chris
Ckill

Postby avewhtboy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:03 pm

I have been looking into installing front coilover shocks on my 1973 Vega while upgrading the brakes to 5 bolt. I have a set of Ridetech coilovers
for my other project so I called Ridetech to ask them about installing a set of there shocks on a Vega. I specifically asked about what is called
a "tapered" or "conical" style spring which is what would be needed to fit the stock upper spring pocket. They do not sell that type of spring or recommend
installing one of there shocks in that fashion.

Here is the style spring needed from Summit. This one is 10 inch and 350lb rate which would work for most application using any coil over shock
designed for a 10 inch spring.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-10gbf350

I may order a pair of these and do it anyway with my existing Ridetech shocks.

Here are the Ridetech coilovers. I have the Part #: 24049901 made for a 10 inch spring.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/coilover- ... table.html

avewhtboy

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech