Ackerman......again

Moderator: Moderators

Ackerman......again

Postby Kenova » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:47 pm

:rolleyes:
Yeah, I know... :whack:
Here's a good video explaining the different purposes of positive, negative, and neutral ackerman (I think) :dunce:
Enjoy :popcorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ONv5MrpFg

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Re: Ackerman......again

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Interesting reading, I really enjoy suspension tuning and alignment settings. For a race car I am sure they can build and adjust for ackerman angles along with other alignment settings. My understanding for a street car is that the ackerman angle is pretty much designed and built into the car and there is not much that can be easily changed. Of course when you start swapping spindles and other steering components you could be changing the ackerman angle designed into the car which could be better or more likely worse. Much easier adjusting caster, camber, bump steer and toe settings to improve vehicle handling. Goes to show steering geometry is much more complicated than just getting the wheels to turn :lol:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Ackerman......again

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Most newer cars have a 1 piece steering knuckle/steering arm design, but many from the 60's (and earlier) and a few early 70's cars and trucks had bolt on steering arms, and therefore you could shim them to facilitate an Ackerman change. Unfortunately Monza (H-Body's period) and S10's aren't included in the bolt on arm set-up. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech