Steering Box died.....

Moderator: Moderators

Steering Box died.....

Postby bugdewde » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Well, I've noticed some excessive play in the Vega steering for quite some time now. Just figured I redo all the tie rod ends and idler when I rebuild the front suspension... one day.
Today, it made a loud POP! as I was turning off my subdivision road onto the main highway and then it got real loose. I now have one complete turn of play the steering wheel :shock:
I pulled to the side of the road and checked the tie rod ends and stuff seemed tight. So I lifted the hood and jiggled the steering shaft... yep, the shaft going into the box is real loose. Think I need a box.... :(

Sadly, my parts car had power steering and I'm pretty sure I gave all those parts away a few years ago.... didn't figure I'd need it since mine was manual.

Any ideas on where to get another manual box?
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Steering Box died.....

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Dwight Speedway and others still sell these new. Someone sells these in aluminum but I couldn't find it (and I'm too big a "Sissy" for manual steering anyway). And you will find one on eBay, or here if you post it in wanted, and I'm sure this will generate some H-Mail :lol: . Harry http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... 32964.html
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Stonebird » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Tons of 'em on ebay starting around $100.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby CaptainPainn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm

I just did a power steering swap on my 77 today in fact. If you want my manual box its yours for $35 and the ride.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech