Need help with power steering on my 72 Vega.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with power steering on my 72 Vega.

Postby runningiron » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:45 pm

I recently acquired a 1972 Vega Panel wagon. It has a 350/T-350 trans with a narrowed Mopar rear. The previous owner installed a GM power steering box out of a 70 something Chevelle. The problem I have is that it does not have a power steering pump due to the front angle motor mount setup. I have no room to mount the power steering pump. Does the Monza V-8 power steering bracket bolt onto the cylinder head and work with a short water pump. Do I need to use the Monza V-8 power steering pump and a Monza water pump to make the combo work? Is there any V-8 Monza brackets out there or are they like trying to find hens teeth? I also found that Summit sells a Moroso power steering pump bracket that is bolted up to the cylinder head. The comments state that a person would have to run it without a the reservoir and run some lines to a remote reservoir. It has a Summit part number 63895. Has anyone used that part and did it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
runningiron

Re: Need help with power steering on my 72 Vega.

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

A Monza bracket that bolts to the drivers side head should work with any short pump. Sometimes there is a slight difference with pulley position on different "short" water pumps but it should be able to be adjusted to work. The bad thing is you may need a different radiator because the pump ends up being right in line with the radiator inlet connection. That's why V8 Monza radiators have a curved upper neck to clear the pump. Finding a V8 bracket may take a little searching but should be doable.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Need help with power steering on my 72 Vega.

Postby runningiron » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Clyde, Thanks for the info I just about ordered a Moroso alternator bracket part# 63825 set up, that mounts the alternator on the passengers side. I didn't order it because I checked with Moroso and I would have to buy their alt pulley, water pump pulley and crankshaft pulley to make it line up. Besides in light of what I learned from you that I would possibly have to buy a Monza radiator. I think I'll stay with the alt brackets I already have that looks OEM and mounts the alt over the water pump. I did order a Moroso part# 63895 for my power steering pump that can be used with stock pulleys. I'll let you know how that works out Thanks again Bob aka: runningiron
runningiron

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech