Will this center link work??

Moderator: Moderators

Will this center link work??

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:01 am

I just received a center link for my 75 Vega which I ordered off Amazon-- part# Mevotech MDS809--and surprise surprise....this is what I got...

It said it was supposed to fit 75 vega without power steering and even has a review from someone that claims it fits...."although it's a bit beefier". Is there any way in hell that this would actually work? My car isn't a daily driver so not too concerned with the turning radius being exact but I don't want something that could be potentially dangerous. And yes I'm an idiot for not searching here first-- I just found similar posts about buyers being screwed with this generic link...although this one seems to match up geometrically but is about 4-5" too long on the drivers side.
sugaryuk

Re: Will this center link work??

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:36 am

After a little research, I found another Amazon deal..http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CK ... ge_o00_s00 RareParts RP25866 center link for a Monza which also showed fitting Vega with manual steering. Specs say it's 23.5" long which is same as mine and pics seem to look identical, so it's on it's way...this time a little more $$.. $81 vs $38, keeping my fingers crossed.
sugaryuk

Postby BnC73VegaGT454 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi Sugaryuk,
I did the same thing. i ordered the Mevotech and it was to long. Did the new one from Rare Parts work?
Thanks Bobby.
BnC73VegaGT454

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi Bobby-- Yup, the Rare -parts fits perfectly.Although I haven't driven it since the install (still waiting for my motor to get finished :cuss: ), I don't forsee any problems with it. Looks good quality and all the rod ends fit in properly.

BTW...what spindle /brake setup are you using? I'm upgrading to S10 droptech spindles (2" drop) and using PowerStop KC1482 brake pkg. I'm trying to find a backing/dust plate to use but not sure which one, any idea? Also did you have to change your proportioning valve for your system?
Randy
sugaryuk

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Hey Bobby....If you have trouble finding one, I found this on Vancouver Craigslist: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/5228185664.html Looks to be the correct one (for manual steering) and at $100 Cdn that's about $10 US :lol:
sugaryuk

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Yeah maybe $15 but the Canadian Shipping will leave a mark. I would be surprised if it will be less than $100 for the shipping. Harry :shock: :cry:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BnC73VegaGT454 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks guys for the info... :D
On the front brake set up, I'm using the front brakes from a 2000 S-10 blazer. I don't know what I'm doing on rear yet, either disc or drum. it's going to be a stock set up. I like it because it has dual piston calipers (Maybe stop better). On the proportioning valve I'm going with the adjustable one for the rear. I did the ball joint set up with the lower cups and drilled the upper a arms. I'm going to be using a under dash mount master. I smoothed the fire wall I didn't want to see the master. I hope it works out. LOL.

Your stock backing plates should work. The new rotors should be the same size as factory. Put your stock S-10 backing plates against your new rotors and check. What are you dong for rear brakes?
Bobby
BnC73VegaGT454

Postby sugaryuk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:30 pm

BnC73VegaGT454 wrote:Your stock backing plates should work. The new rotors should be the same size as factory. Put your stock S-10 backing plates against your new rotors and check. What are you dong for rear brakes?
Bobby

The original owner went the el cheapo route on the front brakes, just redrilled the stock rotors to 5 bolts, needless to say it doesn't stop to well-- hence the S10 upgrade I'm doing now. He also did not use any backing plate on the fronts, so I'm trying to find one to use. Seems every search result I get is for the backs only, did S10's have front backing plates?

I'm not actually sure what I have for back brakes lol. They are disc brakes but in order to get to them I will have to drop the entire rear suspension because dam wheels are tucked in so tight. It's running a Ford 9" with Strange axles, so at this point it's anyone's guess as to what they are, although it's got a Wilwood master cylinder so it might have Wilwoods on the back. Brakes aren't broke (yet) so I haven't been too concerned to get to them yet.
sugaryuk

Postby BnC73VegaGT454 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:43 am

I was thinking this whole time you had the S-10 set up all ready and was just going to up grade. It's going to be much better stopping with the S-10 set up. I didn't know it was stock Vega. Stock Vega brakes won't stop good at all, even with the stock engine lol. S-10 did have backing plates on the front. You can try the junk yard. That's were I got my spindles and calipers. If you find them there, get all the bolts for the plates and to hold the calipers. I don't know if the new kit comes with them. When you get your drop spindles check to see if they have the bolt hole for the backing plates. I'm sure they do.

Nice set up with the rear end, I have the Ford 9" to. With your brake set up, I would get the front brakes done. Bleed front and rear and then test your pedal then go from there. The proportioning valve and master should be good with the set up.
Bobby
BnC73VegaGT454

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech