Vented or solid rotors? S10 conversion question.

Moderator: Moderators

Vented or solid rotors? S10 conversion question.

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:43 pm

I’m upgrading to the S10 brakes/belltech drop spindles and need info on what rotors I can use. I originally had stock manual brakes with solid Vega rotors with a Wilwood m/c with a 1” bore. Can I use S10 vented rotors with single piston calipers with this system or if not what needs to change? And if I want dual piston calipers? And what size rotors can I go up to using 15" Weld wheels? Thanks for any help!
sugaryuk

Re: Vented or solid rotors? S10 conversion question.

Postby Smiley » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 am

S10 vented rotors with single piston calipers should be ok with a 1" bore master cylinder.
Dual piston S10 Extreme setup will fit in 15" wheels, but may need a larger master bore.
Smiley

Re: Vented or solid rotors? S10 conversion question.

Postby MonzaRacer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Ok stock 76 Monza calipers have same size piston as S10/Gbody.
Now the stock Monza master cylinder is 7/8 " and works fine on S10.
If you install S10 rear drums use power prake wheel cyls for power brakes, and manual brake wheel cyls for manual brakes.
Honestly I have yet to try S10 rear disc, with stock Monza master cylinder but swap out prop valve for adjustable prop valve in rear line.
My 77 had S10 front brakes, S10 rearend with maual brake wheel cylinders and stopped better than a 01 Vette, was told it was Z06 but not sure.
I am hoping my current Monza has power brakes so I'll have to swap out the rear wheel cylinders for power versions.
The stock Monza master will feed the twin piston later model S10/Blazer as its a stock replacement for older S10s or Gbodys. There is no difference.
MonzaRacer

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech