ProForged ball joint install help

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ProForged ball joint install help

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 am

spencerforhire wrote:The ball joint should be installed from the top for safety; in the event of a failure of the bolts(broken from overtightening or left loose and the nuts come off), or if the upper control arm itself develops cracks or corrosion around the bolt holes, the ball joint itself will still be captured by the control arm. Mounted underneath, it could pull away and loss of steering would be the result.

Good point Spencer...I had a tire fall off my GTP while driving a couple of weeks ago, don't ever want to go through something like that ever again. Somehow the lug nuts 'magically' loosened off the driver's wheel-- I suspect someone was trying to boost my wheels. Anyways I emailed Proforged and hopefully they can confirm which way they intended these to be installed, but like you guys have stated, going through the top is the only option that I'll consider. Also I decided to send the torn one back for exchange, I don't think any adhesive will offer a permanent fix and I don't want to be checking it every week.

BTW, for all of you who are keeping track, my motor has been at the speed shop for 4 months now, just a little longer than the 6 weeks I was originally given as an estimate. :cuss:
sugaryuk

Re: ProForged ball joint install help

Postby sugaryuk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Looks like you guys were right--as usual! ProForged replied and said to pop the boot off and install from above. So I pried on the boot (carefully!!) and it came off with a little persuasion. I hate taking apart brand new parts under warranty, but this time it worked out fine. And as a side note.... gotta love Amazon! I phoned them up and they're sending a replacement for the torn one....straight to my house-- so no trip across the border :D . Their customer service is right up there with Costco's, absolutely no hassle return policy :th:
sugaryuk

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech