ProForged ball joint install help

Moderator: Moderators

ProForged ball joint install help

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:00 am

I just bought some ProForged 101-10300 upper ball joints and am having problems on the install. Do these get pressed in from above or do they simply bolt in from below? There's a metal ring which holds the rubber boot on which prevents it from being pressed in from the top-- so the other option is bolting it from below with the 4 supplied bolts, but this does not seem to be a solid enough fit for me. Am I wrong about that? Will the bolts be of sufficient strength to support the ball joints? Here's a pic of the ball joint:
sugaryuk

Re: ProForged ball joint install help

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:44 am

my guess is that the boot gets removed, balljoint is installed from top, boot is reinstalled.
monzaaddict

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:58 am

monzaaddict wrote:my guess is that the boot gets removed, balljoint is installed from top, boot is reinstalled.

The boot is non-removable as far as I can tell, it's kept on by a pressed metal band which doesn`t look like you can undue. I installed it from underneath and it seems to fit properly, just hope it stays on!
sugaryuk

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:44 am

The boot should pull off, the balljoint is installed on top of the A arm and simply bolted on. The factory ones were riveted, the upper control arm is not under as much pressure as the lower one. The bolts are perfectly fine.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby CaptainPainn » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:21 pm

The boot snaps on and off. It will come off. Then the balljoint goes in from the top. I had to do a small grind around the bottom of the tube to get it started, then they pressed in.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:25 am

CaptainPainn wrote:The boot snaps on and off. It will come off. Then the balljoint goes in from the top. I had to do a small grind around the bottom of the tube to get it started, then they pressed in.

Did you actually have a Proforged 101-10300 ball joint? How did you remove the band that holds the boot on? I'm afraid to pry it off and then find it doesn't seal properly when it goes back on. Is there a special tool required to remove the band? Here's a pic of one I'm returning due to being sent a returned damaged one. It almost looks like someone tried prying the band off and ripped the boot in the process. Looks suspicious but I swear it wasn't me!!
sugaryuk

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:30 am

If you look carefully at the wire retainer, it's a spring clip. I've never had a problem popping one off with a flat screwdriver or pry bar and then pushing it back on with my fingers after it's bolted into the arm. The boot on the one in the pic looks damaged from someone trying to jam it in the control arm without taking off the boot.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:40 am

I could not find an example online of the clip removed for that particular part number but there are examples of others using the same style clip with the clip removed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated! I'll give it a shot when I get home from work tonight... I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to destroy the seal. At $42 each I don't want to be screwing it up.

I came across this instruction from Rare Parts for one of their upper ball joints : http://rareparts.com/pdf/instructions/10158-10159.pdf
It actually installs from the underside of the control arm, without the ball joint being pressed into the control arm. I thought that perhaps this one might of installed the same way.
sugaryuk

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:05 pm

None of the upper balljoints are pressed in, only the lowers. The uppers are riveted on from the factory, replacements bolt on.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:16 pm

cjbiagi wrote:None of the upper balljoints are pressed in, only the lowers. The uppers are riveted on from the factory, replacements bolt on.

Ok... I had assumed that the ball joint was a tight fit and would have to be pressed in. If that's the case, can I leave it bolted in from below or must I remove the boot and install it from the top. I've read other posts where people said they simply bolted them in, no mention of having to remove the spring clamp and boot. Sorry for the confusion. :bang:

Also, do you recommend returning the torn boot one or just seal it with silicone or some other suitable sealant? I have to return it thru Amazon and that means a trip across the border to send it and another back to pick up when new one comes. Can you reseal rips permanently?
sugaryuk

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:56 pm

You should be able to get a new seal for it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:56 pm

You might be able to get a new seal for it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:52 pm

The ball joint should be installed from the top for safety; in the event of a failure of the bolts(broken from overtightening or left loose and the nuts come off), or if the upper control arm itself develops cracks or corrosion around the bolt holes, the ball joint itself will still be captured by the control arm. Mounted underneath, it could pull away and loss of steering would be the result.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby CaptainPainn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:55 am

I used Proforged 101-10300 on my car, but the boot didn't quite look like that. Mine had a solid lip around the boot which came off by prying with a flathead between the lip and the ball joint. Looked just like the one in the first picture.
CaptainPainn

1977 Chevrolet Vega

Next

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech