Vega front disk brakes

Moderator: Moderators

Vega front disk brakes

Postby Travis73vega » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:33 pm

My 73 GT Vega has front disk brakes. Is that factory? I'm looking to replace rotors and calipers in my car and I'm having trouble finding them for a vega. I think I have factory spindles. Four lug bolt pattern. Iv found aftermarket performance brakes but I don't have the money for something like that right now. Any suggestions?
Travis73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Vega front disk brakes

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:30 pm

First off, yes your car did come with the solid front rotor disc brakes. Those rotors are extremely hard to find. Not sure what aftermarket brakes you are looking at, very little was made for a H body. Most guys have either upgraded to the later Monza vented rotors and calipers or have done the S10 conversion which also upgrades to 5 lug wheels.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Vega front disk brakes

Postby Travis73vega » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:25 pm

cjbiagi wrote:First off, yes your car did come with the solid front rotor disc brakes. Those rotors are extremely hard to find. Not sure what aftermarket brakes you are looking at, very little was made for a H body. Most guys have either upgraded to the later Monza vented rotors and calipers or have done the S10 conversion which also upgrades to 5 lug wheels.

Jegs and and a few other places sell 5 lug upgrades for the Vega but the are very expensive. I can find front brake pads for Vega so maybe I'll just get pads and get my rotors turned for now. Someday I'll do the 5 lug upgrade.
Travis73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech