Brake rod problem, won't stay in place

Moderator: Moderators

Brake rod problem, won't stay in place

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:01 am

While my engine was out I pulled off my Wilwood master cylinder to be able to replace the engine bay sheet metal. Now that I've put it back on, seems that the brake rod won't stay in place- it has about 3/8" too much play. The rod is welded in so there is no adjustment to take up the slack. Is there supposed to be return spring that holds it in place, one that pulls the pedal toward the firewall? Funny thing is that I didn't remove one and can't find anything inside the pedal area, even pulled the carpet back to see if anything fell in there. If it's not a spring, any other suggestions? BTW...car is a 75 Vega with manual brakes.
sugaryuk

Re: Brake rod problem, won't stay in place

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:52 am

You said you changed your engine bay sheetmetal? Exactly what did you change, something on the firewall? There is no spring on the pedal as far as I know of, if anything a return spring would pull the pedal away from the firewall, not towards it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:21 pm

cjbiagi wrote:You said you changed your engine bay sheetmetal? Exactly what did you change, something on the firewall? There is no spring on the pedal as far as I know of, if anything a return spring would pull the pedal away from the firewall, not towards it.

I have s/s panels covering the inside of the engine bay (car is a show-car...sort of), and replaced the old ones because of scratches. The old one had a cut out for the master cylinder, new one just bolts to the panel. I thought that the gap between the new metal and firewall may of been too big and was causing the rod to fall out so I removed the new panel and bolted the M/C directly to the firewall...although it was a bit closer it still would not hold in place. It seems there is no pressure to keep the rod snug in place. My pedal does have a return spring at the top that pulls the pedal back from the firewall.

How is the rod supposed to be held in place? Is the rod normally supposed to be adjustable so you can take up any slack between the pedal and M/C? Like I said someone welded mine in and there is no way to adjust the length. I can't think of anything I did other than remove the M/C.....my brain is hurting. :bang:
sugaryuk

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:59 pm

Finally got a good look at it. Looks like the bracket that holds in the stop light sensor is what is supposed to keep the rod in place. I'm guessing that mine got bent a bit while the car sat for the last 7 months, although it looked pretty straight to me. I bent it forwards just enough to take up the slack, waiting for the weld to give way! It moved the pedal ahead enough to push the rod in deeper. Seems to be good for now.
sugaryuk

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech