AJE brake conversion.

Moderator: Moderators

AJE brake conversion.

Postby gasketman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Hey guys, help me out here . I installed the upper and lower arms and a Southwest kit for the S10 spindles and the camber is about +6 degrees ! Called Morrow at AJE and we agreed on the arm measurements being the same . So, apparently, it's the spindle angle . Southwest listed the mid eighties S10 with all g bodies same as Bob Gumm. . I emailed Bob Gumm's site but no answer . The top portion of the spindle angels in toward the engine . My stock spindles are straighter . Thanks .
gasketman

Re: AJE brake conversion.

Postby kgroombr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Not sure what is up with Bob Gumm. I ordered a set of motor mounts three weeks ago and not a peep. Emailed about a week ago to check status and nothing. I will wait another week and will request my money back.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:03 am

Is it possible you installed the upper control arms on the wrong sides?
avewhtboy

Postby Kenova » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Pictures?

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby gasketman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:57 pm

The upper arms have no angle , they are straight with identical dimensions from the ball joint to the mount holes . I have the arms with the rubber bushings . Jim at AJE said that the heim joint ones still probably wouldn't adjust that much out . I think it is the spindles . The kit listed S10 with mid eighties G bodies . Same as Gumm's site . One problem was AJE doesn't tell you about the shallow spring pocket where my "75 Monza has deep . The car sat 3 to 4 inches higher . I cut the coils and it sat O.K. But camber never changed . I'll send some pics if I figure how to . The S10 spindle is tilted 3/8 of an inch more inward than the stock Monza . So, if it IS the spindles, I don't which ones to use . Thanks
gasketman

Postby gasketman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 pm

When I said that the S10 spindle tilts toward the engine I meant that the top ball joint is tilted 3/8 inch inward from the vertical plane of the rotor than my stock spindle . I don't know if 3/8 inch would be 6 degrees camber ! Of course , that's at the 11 inch rotor compared to a 15 inch tire . I see the pic image icon but how do I get to my pictures ? Usually, it's a paper clip icon . I can do it with Craig's list or Uncle Henry's .
gasketman

Postby gasketman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 pm

When I said that the S10 spindle tilts toward the engine I meant that the top ball joint is tilted 3/8 inch inward from the vertical plane of the rotor than my stock spindle . I don't know if 3/8 inch would be 6 degrees camber ! Of course , that's at the 11 inch rotor compared to a 15 inch tire . I see the pic image icon but how do I get to my pictures ? Usually, it's a paper clip icon . I can do it with Craig's list or Uncle Henry's .
gasketman

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:43 am

The reason for this is that the S10 [G-Body is nearly identical if not exactly spindle to the S10] isn't exactly like the H-Body spindle just the closest that we have found. The bottom tab that the lower Ball Joint bolts to is approximately 1/2" longer than the H-Body lower BJ tab. There was a pic' online somewhere that I can not find to save my life that shows this. If I ever find it I will post it here to share. If you spend any amount of time in the "Project Journals" you will se that most that do the conversion eventually move the BJ in and forward to alleviate the camber issue and add more caster. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech