Spindle fix

Moderator: Moderators

Spindle fix

Postby Bullet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:52 pm

It's been a while since I been on here so this may have been posted already and I missed it. Since the problem with the S truck spindles is the steering arm length, wouldn't this cure the whole problem and give us good spindles and brakes without the the steering issues? Speedway has bunches of different length steering arms, just have to match one to our existing spindle length.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... 07464.html
Bullet

Re: Spindle fix

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 am

You may well be on to something there Bullet! I'll investigate that a little in the next little while, as that allows for a brake upgrade with out some of the questionable "engineering" that some of the kits offer for the "S" truck as well as adjustable "Ackerman" and shorter steering arms. The "Metric" steering knuckles and the "S" truck are supposed to be interchangeable so that looks like a real promising solution! That isn't even a bad price. :D Thanx, Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Bullet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm hoping to finally get into my coupe after the first of the year. I'll be digging in as well. One of my cars has S truck spindles on it so I have a referenc. Speedway has some short arms that bolts to their Pinto spindles which, if I read correctly, are the right length for a rack and pinion. It would be great to find out of the box stuff to put all that under our H body cars.http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... 26810.html
Bullet

Postby Smiley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 am

These new spindles should also accept the 1st gen Camaro steering arms to prevent the reduced turn radius and slower steering response when swapping to stock S10 spindles and using the Vega steering box.

Camaro used several lengths of arms

the shortest ones were 5.25" LH-3954875 RH-3954876 Used on power steer, and Z/28 fast ratio manual steering.

Right Stuff DBSA02 Steering Arms, 67-69 Camaro/69-74 Nova, Pair $65 at Speedway
Part # 92618057
Smiley

Postby 1oldmf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:12 pm

I,too, am interested in this set up.
I have S10 spindles, with flaming river rack & pinion, and suffer from lack of turning radius.
but, I have extremely touchy steering at hiway speeds,
I have installed the pwr steering flow reducer,, it helped, but still touchy.
wouldn't shorter arms on the steering arms compound the problem?

where is that "EZ" button?
1oldmf

Postby Smiley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm

What are the specs on the rack you are using ?
Shorter arms would increase the response.
Smiley

Postby 1oldmf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:35 pm

not sure on specs, as it was in the car when purchased.

but more touchy would NOT be good,
1oldmf

Postby Smiley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Check the turns lock to lock, you can get a slower ratio rack then go to the shorter arms for more travel.
Have the spindle stops been removed from the lower control arms ?
Have you had a complete front end alignment check ?
Last edited by Smiley on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley

Postby Kenova » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:18 pm

1oldmf wrote:I,too, am interested in this set up.
I have S10 spindles, with flaming river rack & pinion, and suffer from lack of turning radius.
but, I have extremely touchy steering at hiway speeds,
I have installed the pwr steering flow reducer,, it helped, but still touchy.
wouldn't shorter arms on the steering arms compound the problem?

where is that "EZ" button?

You may have too much toe out and/or not enough caster so have that checked out before you do anything more drastic.
Check your number of turns lock to lock as Smiley suggested. That will give you a good idea of your rack's ratio.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby 1oldmf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:24 pm

I set up the alignment myself, ( 40yrs in the business)
I have tubular a arms, and have adj as much caster as possible,
toe is 1/8 in, camber is 0 on left side, and -1/16 on right,
I have not checked the stops, ( now on "to do list")
I considering restricting pwr steering flow more, but am concerned
about over heating the fluid,
would use orig valve, weld it shut, and drill to size, to see what works,
1oldmf

Postby Zanie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:55 am

"I have tubular a arms, and have adj as much caster as possible,"
How much caster do you have?
Is it at all positive?
Dan
73 vega wagon LS1 T56 build thread
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36579
Zanie

Postby MonzaRacer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:09 am

I think my plan may work, local guy just got a 78 that someone installed a Quad 4/Twin Cam in and a 5 speed. After he gets it running we are moving the inner tie rods tothe other side of the center link. Which should fix the majority of the issues induced by the Gbody/S10 spindles. I prefer the later ones as the dual piston calipers are stiffer and you can upgrade to Corvette brakes later on. I am waiting on another set of later two piece spindles, some used C4 Corvette parts to see if a hybrid setup like Kore# builds will work also.
Now if you want to use a spindle that works better and actually has multiple arms available Speedtech/ATS spindles are a great upgrade, C5/C6 brakes bolt right up and it actually takes some weight off. Custom lines are needed though for the Speedtech/ATS part or Corvette calipers.
I have been working with a wheel repair company as I want a way to cut down Corvette wheels, specifically 17x8.5 and 18.8.5. I have yet to see if I can make a wheel 1.5 in wider fit under an H body but need to get back into a job first.
MonzaRacer

Postby chuck79 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Have you had success moving the tie rods to the other side of the center link? can I assume that means switching the center link 180 degrees from the drivers side to the pass side. I'm interested in the effect on the steering with the s-10 spindles.
chuck79

1979 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby Smiley » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Moving the inner tie rod ends to the front side actually moves them too far forward and may cause binding at the center link.
Moving the idler arm and steering box forward to make up for the longer spindle arms would be better than moving the tie rod ends.
Converting to rack and pinion is the best solution, but finding the correct length rack and mounting it in the proper location is more than most people want to tackle.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech