Control Arm Question - (again I'm sure)

Moderator: Moderators

Control Arm Question - (again I'm sure)

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:51 pm

I am about to order and install new correct UCA bushings and LCA bushings for the Frankenvega. We will use the UCarms from the 74GT and the LCarms from the 75 Cos. We will be using the S-10 spindles for 5-lugs.
On r.ockauto, they list one for the Upper- ACDELCO 45G8046 {#88912552} Professional...that seems adjustable.
Also they list a rear lower rear separately from the rear lower forward... huh?
I understand a modification to the LCA hole where the s-10 ball joint mounts will need to be performed.
My front end guy tells me all of that is dependent upon the weight of the motor we will use and that we won't know how the caster camber setup will be until it sits with all of its weight on the tires. I know this has been done many times before by many people. I realize that our cam adjusted caster does not provide enough adjustment but is this in all circumstances or just with big blocks? We will be using a 94 4.3 vortec motor with 4-bbl setup and the 4-sp Saginaw.
Springs are new stock 74GT front and may have been the wrong choice as well, theyre still in the box.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Control Arm Question - (again I'm sure)

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 pm

The "rear lower forward and the rear lower rearward" are referring to the control arm on the rearend, not the front suspension. The bushings on the rearend lower control arms are different on each end. The offset upper control arm bushings can be used to get the alignment in the ballpark and to help correct a caster or camber problem and then use the lower control arm cams to dial in the final alignment. These caster and camber problems can arise with stock vehicles as well as S10 upgrades. Every car is a little different so your mechanic is correct that it will depend on how it sits after it is together and sitting at ride height.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech