S10 rear end swap

Moderator: Moderators

S10 rear end swap

Postby GT72 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:49 am

I am doing an S10 rear end in my 72 GT. I have purchased swap brackets from Monzamouse, which I think are great! My issue is I don't have much to go by placing these new brackets. The rear end that came in my car was supposedly taken from and Monza and who ever did this used a torch and welder he had no business using! It is bad and really hard to take measurements off of for placements for the new one. They scabbed some pieces I guess to make up for the brackets they distroyed with the torch. So can some one please shoot me some dimensions and maybe even a picture with center line dimensions or what not? I could really use some help. Thanks Richard
GT72

Re: S10 rear end swap

Postby Smiley » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:54 am

If you can do the welding,
put the car on large jack stands on a level concrete floor then put the S10 rear under it on jack stands at ride height.
put a bottle jack under the pinion
put wheels and tires on the rear end then block and shim the tires in the center of the wheel wells then check front to rear and side to side measurements are the same on both sides.
with the control arms in place to locate the brackets, adjust the pinion angle then clamp and tack weld the brackets to the axle.
recheck all the measurements before pulling it out from under the car to fully weld all the brackets.
Smiley

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:22 am

Someone on here or on the FB Vega Owner's page had a jig for sale....
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby GT72 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 am

wow, all these views and I am sure most of them have Vegas but no answers for my question. Wow
GT72

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 pm

GT, I have a Monza and it isn't easy to get to and would only help with the lowers anyway. I think I would do as "Smiley" lays out in the post above, I personally feel that having it match your car is better than "Factory" locations. As cars in general age they can "Move around" and not every rear end or car is the same. Many of these had whells that weren't centred in the openings and would rub tires on one side only. So as "Smiley" calls out position it under the car use existing mounts on the car [hopefully they aren't "modified] and tack them on the "axle" this will allow you to put the wheel in the opening nice and centred leave even room for rubber side to side, your pinion angle would also be then "optimized" for your set-up too, then you can pull it out compare to pic's on here and elsewhere, and commence a weldin' as you then see fit. Just my 25ยข [inflation and all] I hope this helps you get where you want to get to!
Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Smiley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:32 am

If you raise the rear ride height for larger tires, the short control arms pull the axle towards the front reducing tire clearance at the front of the wheel well opening.
The stock location is not where I would put the axle if I was starting from scratch, the axle could go 1/2 to 1 inch rearward to center the tire better.
Set the ride height you want, center side to side and then center the tires in the fenderwell openings and set the pinion angle.
Tack all the brackets and recheck before final welding.

82 Camaro rear springs will raise a Vega 1 to 2 inches
Moog CC635 installed in a hatchback are about 11" under load, 3" taller free height than stock Vega springs.

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiley

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech