New Front Springs look taller

Moderator: Moderators

New Front Springs look taller

Postby kayak » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:40 pm

According to multiple sources, I purchased the correct replacement front springs for my '75 Skyhawk (V6, AC). Doing the Bob Gumm 5-lug conversion and am replacing all the 42-year old parts while I'm at it.

Ordered the spring set through Rockauto, came direct via FedEx from GM/ACDelco in Tennessee.

Other than the coil count being one more than the old spring, would the 4-decades of wear and tear on the old ones account for the height difference?
Old = 13 5/8" tall
New = 14 3/4" tall

Thanks, Kurt

ACDELCO 45H0117 (alt. part #88913430
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 241&jsn=11
Inside Diameter 3.500 "
Wire Diameter 0.590 "
Load Height 9.00 "
Free Height 14.73 "

springs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1975 Buick Skyhawk (survivor)
kayak

Re: New Front Springs look taller

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 am

Kurt,

I checked with the manufacturer's website of those springs - Pontotoc Spring, div of MW Industries, who produces those springs for Moog, NAPA, McQuay-Norris, and ACDelco (aftermarket) - and that is the spring they recommend for 1975 and '76 Skyhawk with V6 and A/C. The specs you list are what they show for that spring number - 45H0117 ACDelco, 5626 Moog, 277-3083 NAPA.

So unless a previous owner has replaced the OE springs for something else, you should be good to go.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby kayak » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Chuck. You got some "hardcore researching" in your DNA. I never thought to track down the manufacturer's homepage.

I'll try to get one side done today before the festivities of the Superbowl start. Then its sliders and Miller time.
Kurt

cosvega76 wrote:
I checked with the manufacturer's website of those springs - Pontotoc Spring, div of MW Industries, who produces those springs for Moog, NAPA, McQuay-Norris, and ACDelco (aftermarket) - and that is the spring they recommend for 1975 and '76 Skyhawk with V6 and A/C. The specs you list are what they show for that spring number - 45H0117 ACDelco, 5626 Moog, 277-3083 NAPA.

So unless a previous owner has replaced the OE springs for something else, you should be good to go.

Chuck
kayak

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:24 pm

in my opinion they consolidated the part numbers and now offer only one part. It is not the exact same spring you took out but rather a generic replacement.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby kayak » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:15 pm

The extra coil does concern me a bit, but I imagine the only way I'll be able to tell if it's the wrong part will be:

1) the extra coil will prevent me from compressing it enough to install it and it won't fit or
or
2) it does install and fit, but turns my Skyhawk into a nose up gasser when all is said and done.

I'm actually contemplating cutting the "extra" coil off the bottom and at least make it match the old spring...coil for coil.

monzaaddict wrote:in my opinion they consolidated the part numbers and now offer only one part. It is not the same spring you took out.
kayak

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Is the wire diameter the same? A small difference in diameter can make a big difference
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby kayak » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 am

cjbiagi wrote:Is the wire diameter the same? A small difference in diameter can make a big difference

Diameter of wire on both new and old spring are the same...according to my caliper tool.

I tried to install new spring this a.m. and got it in, but never got it to seat/orient the correct way. If I inserted the top of the spring (with rubber insulator thingy) correctly into the tower, the bottom wouldn't seat in the proper position (it covered the drainage hole). If I turned it to make sure the drainage hole was open (as it states in my GM/Buick assembly manual), the top would never seat correctly and it bunged up the insulator.

Sigh.

So, with time to spare before kickoff, I stuck the old spring back in, got it compressed, seated and snugged down all cozy with the "new" S10 spindle mounted. Only to find the top ball joint seat of the S10 spindle rubbing the heck out of the spring tower. Also the upper ball joint was bending in ways that should be a sin. See pic.

UBJ_RearViewEdit.jpg

Once I jacked up the LCA, the UCA moved up/back enough to allow the spindle to spin freely. I also turned the alignment cams all the way to the right to push the LCA's out as far as the cams would allow. This gave the spindle a smidge more room to turn.

I'm stumped. Why are the spindles rubbing? I used the correct ball joints in the UCA/LCA according to Gumm's directions. I'm about to pull the spindle off and grind a bit of the upper arm on the spindle to make enough room so it's not rubbing under no load. No where in Gumm's directions does it mention this having to be done or considered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayak

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech