AJE lower control arms

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AJE lower control arms

Postby TurboKen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 pm

so I just recently purchased a set of QA1 front coilover shocks and the aje control arms. The QA1 shock ends are a little bit beefier then the shocks you have. also in the pic of the two ends side by side you can see how thin the broken one is compared to the other one. Basically its a shock design flaw, I would invest in a better pair of shocks,

Kennyg
TurboKen

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 am

TurboKen wrote:so I just recently purchased a set of QA1 front coilover shocks and the aje control arms. The QA1 shock ends are a little bit beefier then the shocks you have. also in the pic of the two ends side by side you can see how thin the broken one is compared to the other one. Basically its a shock design flaw, I would invest in a better pair of shocks,

Kennyg

Good luck with yours I hope you don't have the same problem. These are Ridetech shocks so when you say invest in a better shock I really don't think that's
the answer. The mount is not engineered correctly I think most would agree.
avewhtboy

Postby Smiley » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Make sure the 5/16 bolts have an unthreaded shank long enough to be solid at the shear point.Use fine thread and grade 8 or better.
Instead of a shelf out of square stock, make square blocks drilled to slip over the cross shafts and drilled the other way for the 5/16 bolts to pass through.
The blocks could be welded to the control arms later if desired.

T drilled steel junction block , could add a 2nd bolt through each block under the primary 5/16 shaft bolt.
found here if you dont make them from scratch http://www.fittings-lubrication.com/accessories-for-centralized-lubrication-systems/greasing-blocks-t-drilled-thread/
Smiley

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Smiley wrote:Make sure the 5/16 bolts have an unthreaded shank long enough to be solid at the shear point.Use fine thread and grade 8 or better.
Instead of a shelf out of square stock, make square blocks drilled to slip over the cross shafts and drilled the other way for the 5/16 bolts to pass through.
The blocks could be welded to the control arms later if desired.

T drilled steel junction block , could add a 2nd bolt through each block under the primary 5/16 shaft bolt.
found here if you dont make them from scratch http://www.fittings-lubrication.com/accessories-for-centralized-lubrication-systems/greasing-blocks-t-drilled-thread/

I have grade 8 bolts with shanks only in shear now so far so good but I need to lengthen my control arms 2 inches so I will have to make a new mount then and
it will be much better design.
avewhtboy

Postby TurboKen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm

These are Ridetech shocks so when you say invest in a better shock I really don't think that's
the answer. The mount is not engineered correctly I think most would agree.

I apologize, I don't know is these are better shocks or not, the shock mount looks to me to be thin walled that's all. The QA1 shock mount is a little thicker, and I agree, I think the aje mount is not engineered correctly.

Ken
TurboKen

Postby TurboKen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 pm

ok so I just looked at my install, when I was looking at the angle of the aje lower arms upward travel, it looked like the better position for the QA1 shock was to be mounted on the spindle side of the a arm which is where I mounted it, I noticed your shock is mounted on the opposite side of the a arm mount, do you think if you switched positions it might help? maybe you have some binding on that lower mount hth

Ken
TurboKen

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:44 pm

TurboKen wrote:ok so I just looked at my install, when I was looking at the angle of the aje lower arms upward travel, it looked like the better position for the QA1 shock was to be mounted on the spindle side of the a arm which is where I mounted it, I noticed your shock is mounted on the opposite side of the a arm mount, do you think if you switched positions it might help? maybe you have some binding on that lower mount hth

Ken

I am running a lot of caster so i needed to mount my shocks on the inside of that bar to keep the springs from hitting the side of the coil spring housing. However
my suspension definitely bottomed out the shocks on a road trip I believe.

Like I said hopefully its ok I have driven it pretty hard with the new smaller bolts and beefier mount and no failure....yet
avewhtboy

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech