shorter idler pitman arms

Moderator: Moderators

shorter idler pitman arms

Postby avewhtboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm

One other problem I have encountered with the AJE adjustable coil over arms is the sway bar mounts interfere with the tie rod ends.

Actually the tie rod adjusters interfere with the sway bar mounts. What would correct this and help the ackerman etc would be a shorter
idler arm and pitman arm. The Vega is 6 3/8 long it looks like a set from a first generation Monte Carlo is only 5 inches. I am thinking about
see if I can put these on my car to correct a few things mentioned.

I was looking at G body but they are actually the same length from my research. FIrst gen Camaros are shorter but I believe they will not work since that
whole system is rear steer.

I may get some of these from Summit and see how they fit up.
avewhtboy

Re: shorter idler pitman arms

Postby chevyart » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 am

is there any way to alter the position or the shape of the swqa bar. i altered my centerlink to make clearance for the oil pan and another fellow named norcelace altered his centerlink in another way for clearance. most members say you cant weld the centerlink, but we did as it is forged steel, just like the sway bar(i think it is forged). just a thought. art
chevyart

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 am

chevyart wrote:is there any way to alter the position or the shape of the swqa bar. i altered my centerlink to make clearance for the oil pan and another fellow named norcelace altered his centerlink in another way for clearance. most members say you cant weld the centerlink, but we did as it is forged steel, just like the sway bar(i think it is forged). just a thought. art

Yes Art I could modify the sway bar mounts on the control arms but that would only correct the interference problem.
avewhtboy

Postby chevyart » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm

maybe i missed something, but i thought the interference with the tie rod ends was the problem. what else is happening. art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Changing the length of the idler and pitman arms is also going to change the angle of the tie rods. I am not sure what effect that would have but it is something to consider......they are generally parallel with the lower control arm and changing that will put them into a different arc?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:46 pm

chevyart wrote:maybe i missed something, but i thought the interference with the tie rod ends was the problem. what else is happening. art

Are cars have a ton of Ackerman which is not beneficial to making the car turn.
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Changing the length of the idler and pitman arms is also going to change the angle of the tie rods. I am not sure what effect that would have but it is something to consider......they are generally parallel with the lower control arm and changing that will put them into a different arc?

Yes changing the length of the arms will change things. Right now the center link is about an inch behind the tie rods ends. Shorter arms will move them forward
to correct the Ackerman. As long as they Pitman and Idler arm are changed as a matching pair the rest of the geometry should be ok. This may even give more
pan clearance since the center links being moved forward about 1 3/8 inches.

I bought the parts tonight, they are shorter and the idler arm looks to have same mounting holes and the same drop as the Vega.

Someone has probably already tried this or proven it wrong but I am going to at least go through the motions to see what happens.

Wish me luck!
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:01 am

Vega arm left "B" body arm right

B body length
avewhtboy

Postby avewhtboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 am

Just saw this arm for sale on my local craigs
avewhtboy

Postby marlin1893 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Have you installed the shorter parts yet if so how did it work and any pictures :o)
marlin1893

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby avewhtboy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 pm

marlin1893 wrote:Have you installed the shorter parts yet if so how did it work and any pictures :o)

I have not installed them yet afraid to screw up my car! but I probably will soon
avewhtboy

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech