Power brakes

Moderator: Moderators

Power brakes

Postby jaloi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 pm

I've spent alot of time on making this thing go faster,I guess now my concern is getting it to stop fast too,lol.I'm going to a 1" bore master cylinder and power brake booster.My question is,how big of a booster will fit and should it be a straight bracket or angled? Thanks for any input.Gets pretty expensive buying parts just to see if they'll fit so hoping someone can save me money and time.
jaloi

Re: Power brakes

Postby avewhtboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:22 am

Some of the H-body cars had power brakes. I used the booster off a 1977 Astre. That with S10 brakes really made the
car much quicker safer feeling to drive. I used a G body Master Cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve to dial in the
rear braking.
avewhtboy

Postby jaloi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I already have a proportioning valve in it because of the 12 bolt rear end.Just wondered because I've seen posts before about the lower hole on the brake pedal being for power brakes,which make me think the rod would be going at an upward angle and hence wanting to use an angled master cylinder.Make sense to anyone?
jaloi

Postby avewhtboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:35 pm

jaloi wrote:I already have a proportioning valve in it because of the 12 bolt rear end.Just wondered because I've seen posts before about the lower hole on the brake pedal being for power brakes,which make me think the rod would be going at an upward angle and hence wanting to use an angled master cylinder.Make sense to anyone?

Yes that is true about the rod and the pedal. I took the pedal and all from a car with power brakes and power steering and installed that in
my car.

Brakes were fine but I added a set of 13 inch rotors with Corvette C5 calipers and now it really stops like I want it.
avewhtboy

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Jaloi My '78 & '80 both have/had power brakes and the stock booster appears pretty straight to me, I only have to Rust Donor at home right now, and I don't remember if it still has the booster or not but I will check the diameter and "take a look see" if there are any nearby obstructions to help you ascertain if you can go bigger or not. I may get to see my Red '78 [the nice one ~+/-] this weekend and will let you know what I find if no one answers up first. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Bullet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Looking at the pics from Rock Auto for 1980 Monza brake booster, they are angled. I know we used to use late 80's Cavalier boosters on early to mid-50's Chevy trucks and as memory serves, they are around 9" in diameter and angled slightly upward. They had the same bolt pattern as the 78 and up G-body cars for the master cylinder.
Bullet

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech